Menu

Hey, SparkPeople

It took me a while. I went to the "start" page and tried to follow the "steps." But really, I just took a while to let the articles "brainwash" me. . . It was a while before I started to understand how important food is and how my lack of understanding was contributing to my health problems.

That said, I think I'd post on the forums often! The people who are there have lots of tips for newbies!

How long did it take you to get used to interacting with the SparkPeople site?

I usually don't have too much problem, but there is so much to it that I feel overwhelmed and log off right away.

Have you any tips for a beginner?

I'm glad you posted this Crissy because I am a member, but I haven't done anything with it because I don't really know how to start. I am bound and determined to get this 10 pounds off, and I could use all the help I can get.

I signed up, then got lost. There's so much going on, I haven't been back, because it wasn't something I could jump right into off the bat. Some people say it takes a bit, but once you get it, it's not bad at all and they love going there. I forget who said that though.

Well, this was such a helpful response!:glare::001_huh: Hope you get it worked out! Maybe one of these days I'll get around to returning!

Crissy, did you see this thread? http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44812

The first week or 2 I kept arriving at cool and/or interesting pages -- but couldn't figure out how to get back to them again!

On the "start" page are a lot of links and if you're in a forum or team page, on the right side of the screen will be some links too. Like an easy one for your own Sparkpage.

I did put the WTM spark team on my bookmark bar -- so I can check in with you all regularly. :) The fitness page still doesn't make sense to me (quick track vs strength/cardio) but I'm managing. Some teams have team goals you can track -- like steps or outside exercise time, I like that! Just keep looking around, it is really a great resource.

I was comfortable with it right away, but I did find it very time consuming. Once I entered in groups of my favorite foods (all of the ingredients in a particular salad or sandwich I eat often) it went much more quickly.

I find it to be a good accountability system, especially the exercise log.

Were there any specific questions you had?

Crissy,

I am right there with you. I have a folder in my e-mail with at least 50 Spark e-mails that I have not read. I joined but just haven't been ready to really commit. I have to say the e-mails are rather overwhelming.:tongue_smilie:

This summer, when I knew I was going to be swamped with grad school work, I changed my settings so I'd only receive "The Weekly Spark" and notifications of new members on our team.

First, login.

Click on the orange "Start" tab on the left hand side of the page.

Under the "Welcome _____" greeting, you'll find "Account / Email preferences" -- Click it.

Somewhere in the center of that page, you'll see the red words: "Manage email preferences."

You can safely delete everything in that email folder and start fresh. :)

Good luck, and hth!