Menu

4th Grade Plans....

TXMary2

If you are a Classical Homeschooler, loosely or strictly following TWTM and/or The Core (Classical Conversations) please tell me what your 4th grader is doing or what you are planning for an upcoming 4th grader. I am trying to determine if I am planning for too much. We are wrapping up 3rd grade, but I am planning 4th grade.

Presently, the plan is to continue with TOG for history and literature and using Classical Conversations memory work. As well as:

Prima Latina Latin

Rod and Staff Grammar and Spelling

TOG Writing Aids with Excellence in Writing

Saxon Math (currently using 5/4 - will move to 6/5 when done)

TOG Geography with an additional map skills book

Health - Abeka

Logic - Mind Benders

I have a nearly 11yo rising 5th grade boy and a nearly 9yo rising 4th grade girl so we combine subjects where they can.

These work so These are definite:

Local weekly PE class

Tennis lessons

MM4

Rod & staff English 5

Rod &Staff Spelling 6

MOH 2 with HITW medieval projects and some read aloud and reading taken from Sonlight, TOG, etc.

Map Trek Medieval

Continuing (slowly) getting Started with Spanish & duolingo app (did I say slowly?)

Memory work Sing the Word God our Provider plus cursive practice for each verse

Bible: Long Story Short and continuing to Old Story New http://www.amazon.co...pd_bxgy_b_img_y devotions which goes along with their Sunday school curriculum.

Monthly homeschool book club. Sometimes I read aloud, sometimes we listen to audio book in the car, sometimes they read the book.

Audio books in the car. currently listening to HP2. We've listened to countless classics and other good lit.

Planning to add

3 veritas Press lit guides: pinnochio, Mixed up Files, Robin Hood

Home Art Studio 4 tried MTM last year but did one lesson and didn't care for it

Mind benders book 3 to start

Still deciding on:

Science -

Evan Moore daily science 3rd, 4th, 5th (they love these)

Or BJU

Or Mr. Qs chemistry on iPad minis plus Ellen McHenry Elements

Writing

wWE3 and IEW swiA (lessons 10-15)

Or new bravewriter writing program coming out on Monday

Latin for children A? Considering this in new online format

This is what we did this year, but it was our first year HSing.

Worldly Wise C and then 3000 for vocabulary

Sequential Spelling then Calvert online spelling

HWOT Cursive

Analogy puzzles (started with grade 1-3 and have moved up to the 3-6 grade)

Math in Focus 3A, 4A and 4B

WWE 4 and some Writing Strands for more creative style writing

R&S 4 English

Latin for Children Primer A

Elemental Science (we did Logic Stage Astronomy/Earth Science just because that's what my son wanted to do)

TOG Year 1 for history, bible, geography and literature.

We did science 2x a week and history 2x a week.

Hope this helps! Makes me feel good looking at what we've almost finished!

Have you done CC before? Are you doing it in a community or at home? Are you doing the Essentials program as well?

I have a 4th grader for next year and I can tell you in detail what we do but I hesitate to remark about whether what you are doing is too much until I know the whole picture. If you are not in a community it will be easier to accomplish all of that than if you are and if you are doing Essentials then I definitely think it is too much.....(This is coming from someone who regularly gets told we do too much so I am not a minimalist by any means)....

Thanks ladies. I forgot to list Science and Bible - for Bible we are using Classical Academic Press OT for now. For science, I can't decide. We've also been using Wordly Wise, but I am thinking of moving to Vocabulary From Classical Roots when we finish the WW book.

We have been doing CC at home and we did a memory work class at co-op that was loosley modeled after CC memory work.

We are classical homeschoolers. Plans for my fourth grader next year:

CC memory work for memorization

CC geography maps

Literacy guides from veritas press of Stuart Little, Boxcar children, Homer Price, Charley and the Choc. factory (will add more just need to see how fast or slow we go)

MCT town level

Teaching Textbooks 4

WWE 3

Following CC science topics and just going more in depth with them

Well, just in case it is helpful at all I will post what we are going to do next year. We follow CC as closely as possible b/c I have just found that it really works for us.

Math: Saxon 5/4

Logic: Building Thinking Skills 2 (the first half, got this from WTM)

Latin: Latin's Not So Tough 4

Greek: Hey Andrew 4

Vocabulary: derivatives listed in LNST and HA (she has to list them and look them up in the dictionary), prefixes and suffixes from our Essentials guide, and words from IEW theme-based books

Grammar: Essentials (including the editing exercises)

Writing: IEW Medieval and PreScripts Passages and Sentences and presentations for Foundations

Rhetoric: memorize from Passages and IEW's Poetry Memorization program plus presentations for Foundations

Reading: McGuffey Fourth Reader for oral reading, McCall Crabbs C for comprehension

Literature: VP 4th grade list and Writing Road to Reading 4th grade list (writes a narration afterwards and has a book discussion with me using questions from WTM); read alouds from Teaching the Classics and A Thomas Jefferson Education

Spelling: Spelling Plus levels A and B (as listed in Essentials guide) plus sentences from Dictation Resource Book and Homophones as listed in Essentials guide using Homophones Book (all by Susan C. Anthony) with spelling rules from Essentials guide (1 regular and one advanced rule per week)

Phonics: phonogram review and daily quiz from Essentials guide (see and say or hear and write)

Science: she will read on ecology and astronomy the first semester and physics the second semester from RS4K Middle Grades books, Tiner and Parker books, and Apologia, plus notebook the Acts and Facts cards and write up lab reports and visual presentations based on what we do in CC

History: she will notebook about our history sentences using History Highlights (from CC) and the Acts and Facts timeline cards plus read recommended books from the CC list; she will read SOTW 4 in summer and do MARR from VP hopefully

Bible: we are going to do VP Bible together (the whole timeline using the Sunday School pages in the back of the manuals) plus family devotions based on character and catechisms, hymns and hymn study, manners, and Bible reading, prayer, etc. We do Character First and she will begin to memorize the Westminster Shorter Catechism. We memorize Scripture and Bible facts from CC. She also does AWANA on her own.

Geography: CC map drawing while looking at the maps

If I can think of more I'll share....baby is crying.....