Menu

Song School Latin being offered for classes. Yes or no for 7/8 year old?

Our classical enrichment center is offering Song School Latin for K-3rd grade next year. My daughter would like to take Latin but I'm not sure about it. I've looked at online samples. Is it too young? It doesn't look like something I'd want to use at home but maybe it would be fun for her in a class setting. She will be 7.5 when school starts back and would have to do Song School 1 next year and then 2 the following when she is 8/9. After that she can go into the other Latin programs.

So, yes or no?

My young kids are using Song School Latin 1 (and will be continuing with SSL2 next year). I started it when they were very young- mainly because it interested me more than Spanish or French. We started out the program by simply just singing the songs. As my girls get older then I slowly segue in the use of the corresponding workbook.

It's more of a vocab introduction versus something like Latin For Children or Lively Latin. So for us - it's been a wonderful gentle approach. My 6 year old has made connections on her own about latin roots because of it. She gets excited when she can derive a latin word in our english language.

Song School Latin isn't necessarily necessary. I know many folks who skip it and start with a full curriculum after 3rd grade. But for us, it's been a rewarding fit.

I don't know if these would help you out but here are my original and updated posts on SSL.

As individuals, a 7- or 8-year old child is probably capable of learning Latin beyond what SSL teaches. However, in a group setting, I would use SSL. Have you seen a group of second or third graders together? Delightful to teach, but difficult to grab their collective attention. Songs and fun activities might be the only way as an introductory Latin class.