Menu

Hi, new with questions

Sasharowan

Hi, I have been lurking for a little while and getting many great ideas for schooling my kids from you all. Thank you.

I got SWB's cd on writing and listened to it. I am unsure how the dictation works. Do I just read the sentence and let them write it or do I read the sentence a word at a time while they write? My almost 12 yo, 6th grader did a "Dictation test" adn was able to write with spelling and comma help, but did get the capitals and ending punctuation correct, but I had to read it about 3-4 words at a time and wait for him to write it down. He is also outlining from Kingfisher science to 3 levels (just started on 3rd) but hasn't attempted narrations from the outlines yet. Any writing assignment basically ends with him narrating to me and me writing it and then him copying with much complaints. He can do the assignments orally but blocks when having to write them. Where can I go from here?

Also my dd is 8 and in 2nd grade and can read books like Arthur or Magic School Bus fairly well, but when she reads harder books like Magic Tree House she complains of headaches. We had her eyes tested, perfect vision. Is this normal, does she need more development time or should I look harder for underlying issues? I'm thinking she just doesn't want to have to do the harder stuff, but don't want to overlook anything either.

Sorry so long for a first post.

I can't reply to your first question because my dc are younger, and we are just beginning dictation.

However, I wanted to share a couple of thoughts, about your younger dc's headaches. My ds8 has perfect vision, like your dd, but his eyes are sensitive to light, which causes headaches sometimes when he is reading.

He also has visual tracking issues - in simple terms, his eyes don't move smoothly across the page, and they don't work together well. This can also cause eye stain and headaches.

You may want to post a question on the special needs board - you'll find many helpful posters there who can help you discern whether an evaluation with a developmental optometrist might be in order.

Dictation can be tedious--especially when the child isn't used to it. Give him short bits at first. One well constructed sentence, for example. When he can hold the whole thing in his head and write that, then increase it. Slow and steady: it's not a race.

So, like this: "Put the pencil down and listen. Look at me."

"I'm going to say the sentence to you. You say it back to me. Then you will write it. But first I want you to repeat it, ok?"

"Do not trust flatterers."

(child repeats it)

"Ok, go ahead and write it."

If he needs you to spell anything, try sounding it out for him. Tell him to "take his best guess."--Being uncomfortable with trying to spell something is part of the process, unfortunately--which is why we do a LOT of spelling--my kids are perfectionists and just freeze if they come across a word they don't know how to spell. Sometimes I do write it on the board for them. (I just might have to do that with a word like "flatterers." We'll see. I'll use it tomorrow).

The sentence is short--and don't worry about using short sentences at first--because what you're really doing with dictation is teaching the child to master his own anxiety. That's why you don't want to dictate word by word.

That reminds me, some of the best material to start with is the "moral" in one of Aesop's Fables. Get a good copy. Aespo's Fables can be used for outlining too.

About the narrations--that'll come. If they are overly long you can help him edit as he re-writes. It's OK to make them shorter, as long as they still make sense. He thinks you are giving him a break--you are teaching him to be more concise.

hope that helps!

Here's an article Susan Wise Bauer posted several years ago. In it, she transcribes a dictation session she did with her son, Ben.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/J01script.html

You can find lots of wonderful articles (written by SWB and other WTMers) if you go to the home page of welltrainedmind.com, and click on Complete Article Index. You'll find a list of articles, organized by topic. It's a great resource.