Menu

For those who use Elemental Science...

Wonder

I use the classic series. We've done Intro to Science, Biology for the Logic Stage, Earth and Space for both Grammar and Logic, and Physics for the Grammar Stage. I will admit that I don't use the program exclusively (I'm weird that way and can't seem to ever just use program for a subject, except for math) but we have done those levels in their entirety and have been pleased with them.

Thank you all! I'm particularly looking at Earth Science and Astronomy. Would this work for both 1st grade and 4th?

My experience with it was that the Usborne encyclopedia she recommends was not at all "meaty" enough for my 3rd grader. She was the one to complain that it simply didn't give enough information and she wanted more. This is rare for her, so the book must have been pretty bland. :) We ended up doing the program, but used another encyclopedia or went straight to library books on each topic. My first grade child did fine with the readings although I mostly used RSO Earth and Space with that one since it was a bit more "fun" and involved less writing (already does a lot of writing each day).

My experience with it was that the Usborne encyclopedia she recommends was not at all "meaty" enough for my 3rd grader. She was the one to complain that it simply didn't give enough information and she wanted more. This is rare for her, so the book must have been pretty bland. :) We ended up doing the program, but used another encyclopedia or went straight to library books on each topic. My first grade child did fine with the readings although I mostly used RSO Earth and Space with that one since it was a bit more "fun" and involved less writing (already does a lot of writing each day).

The Usborne books is definitely very basic. Fine for first, but not for 4th. I would either beef up the curriculum for the 4th grader (next year with my 3rd grader and 1st grader I'm using library books for the earth science topics instead of the usborne book, for example), or buy the logic stage program and use a book like usborne for your younger child's reading assignments.

The Usborne books is definitely very basic. Fine for first, but not for 4th. I would either beef up the curriculum for the 4th grader (next year with my 3rd grader and 1st grader I'm using library books for the earth science topics instead of the usborne book, for example), or buy the logic stage program and use a book like usborne for your younger child's reading assignments.

This was my fear for purchasing it for my 4th and 2nd graders. I am putting my own together using Visual Factfinders for everyone, Kingfisher for older, Usborne for younger, and library books for both ages.

We used the classic series. This year I used ES Earth/Space for my 1st grader, and ES Physics for my 4th grader. I also think the readings for ES E&S would be too simple for a 4th grader. We used the 2 day schedule, and it was easy to do both levels. There is usually only 1 experiment per week, but you can always add more. The guide gives additional options if you want to add more in. My blog (in my signature) has a lot of posts with what our activities were like in ES.