Menu

Algebra 1 and Geometry concurrently?

Dd12 and in 8th next year will be starting algebra but she has asked to do geometry. I know MUS has a geometry that doesn't require algebra first--or so I've heard. I'd rather have her do algebra and geometry than geometry alone. And if she does geometry now, I still might have her do geometry again. She hopes to do something with science in the future, but time will tell.

I have the MUS algebra 1 teaching materials but it looks like she's covered a lot of what's in it in CLE already. Doing MUS, however, would probably allow her to complete both in one year because the lessons are short. She could manage both each day. But it seems like she'd be ready for more, including more word problems.

I also have Foerster's Algebra 1. Those lessons are long. If we used that, she'd probably have to stretch it out over two years if we did geometry at the same time, alternating days.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who did this, what materials they used, what time frame they did it in, and how it went over all.

TIA!

I am not familiar with MUS, but a high school level geometry course should use algebra, so I'd be wary of anything that claims not to need algebra. A high school geometry course needs to include analytical geometry (lines, intersecting lines, circles) which will require linear equations, systems of linear equations, and quadratics. These topics are covered on the standardized tests, and a geometry program that does not cover these topics is not adequate for high school.

Especially for a student who may possibly go into science, I would make sure to use a strong math program.

Combining algebra 2 with geometry works well.

ETA: Just reread your post: If MUS indeed covers geometry without algebra, it may be nice to use it in 8th grade, but plan to do a strong geometry course later, because it will have to omit many important topics.

Our daughter did algebra I (with some sidestepping through logic as an introduction to proofs) and then geometry with a little algebra II in the same year. In her case she finished the algebra I way before the year was over and wanted to go on so we (truly more she I admit) started working through the next material. She took the algebra II and trigonometry course the following year (when she was considered a freshman) on campus but mostly just attended one problem solving session a week and took the tests. This approach did prepare her well for the independent study option of AP Calculus which she took the year her school considered her sophomore year. So I guess I would advocate for more of an appropriately paced sequence that might allow her to get both courses in the same year if she was able. I do think in our daughter's case she really had been exposed to so much (because her school really did go wide and deep with their accelerated kids rather than pushing them forward in a linear direction just to check off the box) that some of the concepts were already there and that was why she was able to move along a good clip.

At this point she's interested in science, so she's on the right track wanting to be a bit ahead in math. That will give her great options for science courses in high school. Personally, I would suggest working on one at a time at a slightly accelerated pace. For example, with Saxon, this meant taking the test on the same day as doing a lesson. That meant that the course was finished several weeks earlier. Then she could just go from algebra 1 to geometry to algebra 2 and probably finish algebra 2 in 9th even with her summers free. I don't know anything about MUS, other than what I've read here. Some suggest it's a bit lighter than others, so supplementing might be a good idea. IMO, in general, algebra and higher math should take at least an hour a day. It can be done in less time with some programs (some have commented that MUS took only about 20 minutes a day), but for those interested in STEM fields, a strong foundation in math is very important.

Is there a particular reason she wants to do geometry together with algebra 1? With Saxon, geometry was incorporated into the algebra texts, but we did a separate formal geometry course in between algebra 1 and 2 anyway. It wasn't necessary, but it definitely gave her a good foundation in more complex formal proofs and was good for the thinking skills needed in upper level math proofs. We worked more quickly through math levels in the elementary years, but didn't do more than one course each year from 6th grade on. With doing the tests the way we did, it just meant finishing math earlier in the school year and having a longer summer.

Consider using Foerster's Algebra 1 over 2 years and supplement with Patty Paper Geometry as an intro to Geometry. Follow with a complete Geometry course.

We used:

MUS from K through Algebra (supplemented with Singapore's Challenging Word Problems for a few years)

In 7th grade, we used MUS Algebra 1 and LoF Beginning Algebra

In 8th grade, we used Foerster's Algebra 1 and Patty Paper Geometry

In 9th grade, we used Discovering Geometry (written by Michael Serra who wrote PPG)

With 20/20 hindsight, I would have used MUS Algebra 1 and Patty Paper Geometry in 7th grade, followed by Foerster's alone in 8th grade.

Please tell me about Patty Paper Geometry

Can you tell me about Patty Paper Geometry?

We did Foerster's Algebra I and Jacob's Geometry together with ds in 9th. He had theoretically had Algebra I in school but the book they used ended with the quadratic equation and they didn't finish the book, so when we started homeschooling, I didn't consider that a full algebra I course - it was more like pre-algebra.

I suppose it really depends on what she did in pre-algebra.