Menu

ACT and no college/major preferences?

Ds (11th grader) is taking the ACT on June 8th and during the registration it asked for the top colleges he wants his scores sent to and asked about college majors, etc.

So ds really doesn't know what he wants to study in college although he says he does want to go to college. Music would be the most obvious choice for him since that is what occupies most of his life, but he really just isn't sure. He's one of those cautious people (like me) who takes a long time to consider all the factors before making decisions.

Before he takes his test should he just pick 4 "likely candidates" to send his scores to or should we just skip that part?

It's OK to not fill in colleges to send scores to at the time you take the test, esp if you are not sure which colleges to list. We waited until application time (fall of senior year) when we knew for sure which colleges ds/dd would apply to and then sent the scores to those colleges at that time. There was a fee per school, but it's not too bad. Listing colleges on the test is only helpful if you know for sure you are going to apply to those schools, because the scores are sent for free.

It's OK to not fill in colleges to send scores to at the time you take the test, esp if you are not sure which colleges to list. We waited until application time (fall of senior year) when we knew for sure which colleges ds/dd would apply to and then sent the scores to those colleges at that time.

I underlined above what my daughter also did. We also wished to know what the scores were before sending them away.

Regards,

Kareni