Menu

Song School Latin or skip it?

l&r'smom

I am just starting to plan for next year and would like to add Latin. My girls will be 7 and 9 next school year. First, would this be too juvenile for them? I do want something light and fun for them but not to babyish. The last thing I need is eyes rolling in the back of their heads. Second, if I do go with it, which components do I need? TM? CD? workbook? DVD? Any tips?

For those ages, I vote to skip SSL. (If you did want SSL, all you need is the workbook, which comes with the CD.)

Instead, I vote for GSWL - not babyish, real grammar and translation, a fun and gentle introduction. You set the pace however you like. If your younger one isn't reading well yet, I might hold off and just do it with the older one. It's a great jumping off point for more in-depth Latin programs.

I love SSL. My DD really enjoys it. But...I think your elder would definitely roll her eyes. My nearly seven year old enjoys it so much in part because it is by far the easiest thing she does. We do a chapter in two days usually and she could move through it a lot faster if she had any reason to hurry through. For now I want to foster her enjoyment so we just pull it out & do a few pages when she needs a brain break. If your younger is reading well and you want them doing the same thing Minimus might work? We are planning to move onto that in a month or two, then from there probably Lively Latin...

I am just starting to plan for next year and would like to add Latin. My girls will be 7 and 9 next school year. First, would this be too juvenile for them? I do want something light and fun for them but not to babyish. The last thing I need is eyes rolling in the back of their heads. Second, if I do go with it, which components do I need? TM? CD? workbook? DVD? Any tips?

LOL, if they might already have a propensity toward eye rolling, definitely skip it! At 7 and 9 mine would think it was boring or just plain silly. But they loved it at 5 and 6!

Lively Latin seems to be a good fit for kids in that age range. There are computer activities to go along with lessons and my kids would love that if I let them touch our computer ;)

I think you could easily skip SSL 1, but SSL 2 would a be fun and enjoyable middle of the road, as well as a great precursor to Latin for Children Primer A for both your girls. I have Getting Started With Latin, but only use it as a supplemental review to LfC.

Another option would be to just start Latin for Children.

Thanks for the input. It looks like I will have to research some of these other options. I am completely inexperienced in this area. I just want them to have fun with it. I like the look of Lively Latin, but I am also intimidated by the price. Did I mention I'm cheap? Will look into some of the others. Thanks again to all who replied!