Menu

Chemistry plan for struggling/special needs student

Would this count for a chemistry credit?

CHEM 101 DVD

Exploring the World of Chemistry by Tiner

Exploring the World of Physics by Tiner

Friendly Chemistry

Thames and Kosmos Chemistry Kit

He couldn't manage Algebra. He fumbled through for 6 months. So, I knocked him back down to gain some confidence. He doesn't need to graduate at 18.

As long as your son isn't planning on attending college or trade school in a STEM field, this looks just fine. :) Because it doesn't contain any mathematical treatment of chemical concepts, it might not be considered a "true" high school chemistry but for a special needs student who will only be using it for high school graduation purposes, I would think it would be a good fit. Kudos to you for having your son do chemistry even if he doesn't "need" it for a particular purpose - chemistry for everyone! :D

Disclaimer: Not being from the US, I could be very mistaken about what "counts" or doesn't "count" for high school graduation. :D Most of what I know of the high school science system in the States has to do with university-bound students.

I plan to do chem for this coming year and do it kind of out of the box, so I'm kind of on your wavelength. Yes, my dd has watched some of the Chem 101 videos, and we plan to rewatch those and finish them, definitely like. They really come at if from a *history* angle, which is really nice if the stories behind things help things stick. I have a different Tiner book and like it, so that's probably fine. The Thames and Kosmos, well we had a kit from them, actually it's still sitting on my shelf. (see me scrunching my face) I'm guessing it's a set-up that works for some kids and not others. Friendly Chemistry, have you actually seen this in person? I picked it up at the convention this month, because I've heard it mentioned so much. Iirc, it was a full text. I probably wouldn't bother with ANYTHING else on top of it. I could be remembering wrong, but that's sure what I thought.

Have you looked at this? Power Basics Chemistry Or have you seen http://www.gpb.org/chemistry-physics/term/chemistry

I used Friendly Chem and I don't even think you need the Tiner books to make a credit, especially not one on Physics, which would make it more of a Physical Science credit. The 101 videos would be a nice addition.

I do think adding some experiments to Friendly Chem help make it an honest lab credit. He says labs are included, but they really are slim, and I'd rather see students use at least a bit of lab materials. I can't remember if there are chem labs in the Tiner book, but maybe not. I'm sure the Thames kit would help make up a lab. I think I used some of the labs in Rainbow science, 2nd half of year 1 (an expensive but complete option) and from Experiences in Chemistry (good lab book but need to get supplies), but Thames would probably be easier and cheaper.

Julie