Menu

This year was a flop. Help me redeem next year!

I intended on doing world geography and cultures with my first grader this year. I was just going to put it together as we went along using Galloping the Globe and A Trip Around the World. I had our second child in July and we just haven't gotten into a good groove this year. Up to date, we barely finished Asia. The only thing we did do is read, read, read. Fortunately, my son is a great reader and loves to read. Regrettably, we haven't done much math since November or so. We're involved in a small co-op with art/art history and nature study. I've been toying around with the idea of getting MFW ECC for next year just so everything is laid out for me. I like the idea of putting my own stuff together, but with a 9 month old that barely takes naps and still wakes up multiple times throughout the night, time is very scarce for me. I thought about starting the 4 year cycle with SOTW, but I always thought that an overview of the world first would be best. I'm very sad about the way this year went, and am really hoping that I can turn this around. I could really use some encouragement and advice.

Deep breathe! I think you should go with MFW since you will have a toddler next year. Open and go, check off the next thing is excellent during the toddler year, particularly as you've seen how easy it is for you to let it go. The 4 year cycle can wait.

Your year actually sounds great, lots of reading is very profitable. I am sure your year isn't a flop, really! I'm sure he learned more than you think he did.

However, pick up the math book tomorrow and get going!LOL

A Child's History of the World (ACHOTW) by Hillyer might be an option for you. It covers recorded history (beginning with the Ancients) chronologically to the break up of the USSR in 420 pages. It's specifically written to engage a young elementary aged audience.

I did SOTW 1 part of last year and all of this with my now 7 year old. (I grouped the chapters by region: Ancient Middle East, Ancient China, Ancient India, Ancient Greece, Ancient Rome, etc. and supplemented heavily with library books and hands on activities that went into a lapbook at the end of each unit.)

We just finished the fall of Rome last week and are now reading a couple of chapters of A Child's History of the World every day as a review. Pages 3-179 cover the Ancients. You could read it over a year covering all of World History if you like while adding library books when you choose to expand on people, events, developments, and cultures covered in ACHOTW.

There's usually a way to work in History easily. Use it for your read aloud time or read it as part of your child's narration exercises which integrate History, Writing, and Handwriting in one neat package-don't do other writing and handwriting assignments. You could get SOTW on CD and have your older child listen to it while you're hands on with the baby, then your older child can come back and tell you all about it. SOTW and ACHOTW have chapters that can usually be read aloud in less than 10 minutes. Read it while they eat breakfast if you need to keep them occupied and are crunched for time.

For World Geography I use Blackline Maps of World History by Terry Johnson (now sold under a different title by the same author) because it follows World History and dovetails so perfectly with SOTW and ACHOTW.

What great intentions! I sure know how that goes. I took a very similar approach with our family years ago...our oldest is now in high school.

We did My Father's World one year (sorry I cannot remember which, an early elementary grade) and it walked us through the world using a wonderful book called Window on the World.

From there, we went through Story of the World, one volume each year for 4 years.

From there we went to Tapestry of Grace, which has WONDERFUL discussions for middle school and high school - along with many other great aspects.

You said you just don't have the time to put your own curriculum together. I understand. Perhaps you would feel comfortable using a curriculum as a guide and tweeking it when you do have the time. I found that gathering all the things we needed for each curriculum and haing school daily, left me with little extra time.

My primary goal was that all of us to enjoy one another while learning. I think I accomplished that goal on most days, by God's grace.

Okay first off, I'm right there with ya! (Ds was due in July but came a little later) he still wakes up a lotttt at night. I. Fee. Your. Pain. :)

Second, I'm telling myself that after a summer off we will be well rested, refreshed, and ds won't be so.. disruptive? I love this little man to pieces but schooling with him in the background means chaos in my head. Idk if you can relate? Basically my plan is to relax and enjoy my kids this summer and plan ahead of time.

We took it easy this past year but we need to kick it up a couple notches for 1st. Sorry no real advice but you aren't alone!

I would get started on math right away. I would buy Dreambox for math immediately and stick your child in front of the computer for as long as he/she wants doing it especially if you don't have time. For long term-look at Math u See since there is a video your child can epwatch and do the lesson, with probably minimal effort on your part.

Listen to books on cd. List to Story of the World on cd.

That's all I got. Good luck. I have an 18 month old and it is hard!

MFW would be a terrific option for next year.

If you do decide to begin the 4-year history cycle using SOTW, I will second a recommendation above to listen to the audio CDs - so easy and effective. I began the 4-year history cycle with my now 8 year-old when she was in 2nd grade/turning 7. I thought she was better able to understand and comprehend the information (than she would have been at age 6). If you choose to use the AG to do discussion questions/narrations, map work, and a few activities, all the better (but it isn't absolutely necessary at that age). Pick up related library books (don't worry about finding the specific titles mentioned in the AG - just find the appropriate shelf at your library and grab whatever looks relevant and interesting). You could easily have him write one or two sentences from history as copywork daily to address his language arts skills, if you are not using a formal program; you could teach handwriting, spelling, mechanics and grammar this way without a lot of fuss.

Sounds like your reading was a huge success this year. Keep up the great work on that end.

Dig your math book out and begin working on it daily, now! This year isn't too late to be salvaged. 10-15 minutes of daily work is way better than big catch up sessions later. I would definitely recommend that you continue with a little math and a lot of reading through the summer. Add in whatever else you plan to use next year gradually over the late-summer so that you're up to speed whenever school begins in your house.

Good luck. Your little guy is so young, he is not behind, and everyday is an opportunity to get into a more robust homeschooling routine - when you are ready. Schooling is very light around here during a 'baby year' and we always come out on the other side feeling gratified that we had that mellow time together. When DD4 was born, my older girls were 11, 9, and 4. We did very little formal schooling that year and guess what? They're just perfect today.