Menu

Using FLL

mamamindy

I have gone back and forth with FLL 1. I have used with my 1st grader this year. We've stopped for a bit.. then picked it back up... I really liked it, except for perhaps the scripting. It's not natural for me. My DD was NOT digging it. That is why we put it aside. On the one hand, I don't think grammar is all that important for young elementary... but I think FLL is gentle, yet thorough. And it helps me to know what to look for, how explain grammar concepts, etc. So, I've kinda been flipping through the book and picking what I like (the poetry memorization - we don't have any other resource for this right now; and the grammar concepts to explain during our copy work/dictation, and when it comes up in our reading; and a couple other things like memorizing our phone number/address, etc.) We often include the K'er in this time (the little ones are always just around.) So, my question is, should I move on to FLL2 to step it up a notch for my 1st grader? We've gotten through a little over half of FLL1. Since I include the K'er, should I just stick with FLL1 until we're ready for Rod & Staff 3 for the 1st grader? (I think R&S is the best option for DD1 when she's ready for more formal grammar. She loves independent work, and I'll be ready for more independent work for her at that time.) I've heard there's lots of repeat stuff, so I am reluctant to get FLL2 if it's just more of the same thing. Any suggestions you can give me would be great! :)

ETA: To clarify, my current 1st grader is stepping into 2nd grade work now, along with my K'er moving into 1st grade material. Although I am taking that much slower with my K'er....

We are almost finished with FLL2 and we did FLL1 last year. (this year I have a 3rd grader and 1st grader) I would say there's a ton of repetition in FLL2. My kids didn't mind the first book but I think they are tiring of the style of FLL2. If you're daughter didn't like FLL1 I kind of doubt she'll like FLL2. I agree with you on helping you know what grammar to point out and teach. I've appreciated knowing what's on their "level" for now. I've been looking into LLATL (Learning Language Arts through Literature) and think this might be a better fit for us for next school year. I've not looked into Rod and Staff though. Maybe I should?

HTH

Michelle

Thanks for your suggestions.

I guess I am still not sure if FLL2 is worth it if DD1doesn't really tolerate the format... I use it to peruse which grammar concepts to cover, and then cover them when we're doing copy work, dictation, and when they come up sometimes in our reading. She absolutely hates the repeating, and it feels babyish to her. We dropped it rather than fight over it. Even without guidance she has naturally wonderful grammar skills, in speaking, and in her own free writing. DD2 (K level) is much more agreeable (with everything!) so she may do well with the format. I haven't really started anything formal with her. She joins us for memorization. She loves that. I am trying to pick a resource that will just work for them all. I'm cheap that way! ;) And, I'd really like for us to be able to work together. Perhaps just working on grammar concepts within our writing is the way we should stay... Thanks for letting me "figure" this out. ;)

I may look at LLATL... Thank you for the suggestion.

As for Rod & Staff, I haven't used it, but I think DD1 would love the format of more independent work at the 3rd grade level (and, from what I gather, a lot of writing that is optional) and I will be ready for her to work more independently since I will have another to add to the mix around that time. Now that's a whole other concern! :laugh:

I've been down this road a bit. My eldest had the same complaints about FLL1. I dropped it. Then I tried a couple of other things. For 2nd I tried English for the Thoughtful child. Some types of activities without all the repeating. And, it can be done more independantly. She hated that even more! (She's a very social learner and does not do well with independant work.)

I tried LLATL Red/2nd with my younger daughter at the beginning of this year (for 1st) and I wouldn't recommend it at the early levels. They do not call things by their proper names. i.e. "describing words" instead of adjectives. As in they don't mention that they're really called adjectives at all. That bothers me. It also had a lot of phonics in it, and my DD didn't need any phonics. And, it didn't really have enough handwriting or spelling IMO. I've heard good things about the higher levels and I liked the idea of it, but it didn't turn out well for us.

So what did I do this year? I went back to FLL for both. My eldest is now in 3rd, my younger is in 1st. They are both doing well with it. I have much less resistance from my 3rd grader in level 3 than I did in level 1. Now there is enough material that she needs some of the repeating to remember it all. And I do not repeat everything 3x for either of them. If I think they know what it is, I'll just ask instead. And if they do, then I tell them "good", and move on to the new stuff. I've found that even though there is a lot of repeating, it works. It gets it into their heads and sticks. I'm pretty sold on it being rigorous and working very well. But I totally get that the script and repitition can get to you. I've made it work for us by skipping a lot of the unnecessary repitition and we've gotten used to the scripted format, although I often will say it in a goofy voice or something to keep things lighthearted and fun. I can't speak to how much level 2 steps it up as we skipped that year with ODD, and won't use it until next year with YDD. I can tell you that level 3 is definitely "next level" with diagramming sentances and such. It's challenging to my daughter.

Just chiming in to agree with many others. I believe FLL to be a very solid program. I have used it simultaneously with my girls(6yo&8yo) for the past 2 years. My eldest doesn't do workbooks! So a more relaxed conversational style is better for her. The scripted style does not bother us. I mean, who reads it word for word anyway??? I use it as a jumping off point while still trying to get in the main point of each lesson. And the price is right! I get a two for one because the lessons are gentle enough for the youngest as well. Not sure about what to do after FLL2? Will the youngest be prepared for FLL3? She would probably be considered a young second grader @ that point. I guess that will have to be decided on when the time comes. Decisions. Decisions. =)

I'm using FLL1 with my 1st grader and it's my first time to use it. It is gentle and sometimes we do 2 lessons per day bc we started after Christmas. He doesn't seem to mind it and the constant repetition is helpful. He likes the poems he's memorized, also. Earlier today I was reviewing pronouns with my 4th grader and he couldn't spit out the definition of a pronoun, but was giving me examples . My 1st grader was sitting in the floor playing and so I said, "<Child's name>, what is the definition of a pronoun?" and he spit it out immediately! I will continue at least through FLL2 for 2nd grade. I think it builds a nice solid base, it's gentle and fun. I also like the copywork and enrichment activities. I don't have to come up with something and it's relevant to something we're learning!

My oldest found all grade 1 and 2 programs too easy. Looking back, I should have just started him at 3rd grade grammar when he was ready. As it is, we did 3rd grade grammar in 2nd. If you wanted to do R&S3, you could start her now, unless she's not ready for the writing.

Thanks so much for all the advice. I think we'll just fast forward (maybe big time) through FLL1, keeping DD2 with us if she wants. I'll check out FLL2 when we are finished since I think at least DD2 will appreciate an easier level than 3. I just still don't know about jumping into a 3 level for my "language arts advanced" almost 7 year old... She is very bright, but does not like anything to surprise her, or maybe even challenge her. I know that's just the way of learning oftentimes, but I don't want to freak her out either. Thanks for all of these things to consider, and for sharing your experiences!!

Thanks so much for all the advice. I think we'll just fast forward (maybe big time) through FLL1, keeping DD2 with us if she wants. I'll check out FLL2 when we are finished since I think at least DD2 will appreciate an easier level than 3. I just still don't know about jumping into a 3 level for my "language arts advanced" almost 7 year old... She is very bright, but does not like anything to surprise her, or maybe even challenge her. I know that's just the way of learning oftentimes, but I don't want to freak her out either. Thanks for all of these things to consider, and for sharing your experiences!!

FLL3 and R&S 3 both start at the very beginning with things like what is a sentence or what is a noun, etc. R&S 3 is pretty slow, actually - slower than FLL3. We only used R&S3 for one chapter because it was still a bit too slow/easy. I had to jump to KISS Grammar to get him any challenge at all. Now, we're doing R&S4 in 3rd grade, and it's easy, but that's working fine for us now.

I really wouldn't be scared of using a 3rd grade program with a "language arts advanced" 7 year old. :)

I'll be starting FLL1 with my middle son this summer, and if it's too easy, I have no problem with jumping up a level as needed, or just not doing grammar for another year or whatever. I have FLL1 and 2, so if we want to breeze through them, we can. My oldest did FLL1 in 3 weeks during his first grade year. FLL2 was a lot more enjoyable for him, though it was still very easy. R&S3 is a step up from FLL2, but not as advanced as FLL3.

FLL3 and R&S 3 both start at the very beginning with things like what is a sentence or what is a noun, etc. R&S 3 is pretty slow, actually - slower than FLL3. We only used R&S3 for one chapter because it was still a bit too slow/easy. I had to jump to KISS Grammar to get him any challenge at all. Now, we're doing R&S4 in 3rd grade, and it's easy, but that's working fine for us now.

I really wouldn't be scared of using a 3rd grade program with a "language arts advanced" 7 year old. :)

I'll be starting FLL1 with my middle son this summer, and if it's too easy, I have no problem with jumping up a level as needed, or just not doing grammar for another year or whatever. I have FLL1 and 2, so if we want to breeze through them, we can. My oldest did FLL1 in 3 weeks during his first grade year. FLL2 was a lot more enjoyable for him, though it was still very easy. R&S3 is a step up from FLL2, but not as advanced as FLL3.

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences, Boscopup. :) I do think it will help me to have both FLL2 and R&S3 here to look at, and they'll both probably be used resources. That said, could you tell me which of the R&S3 materials to get? I have seen there's a teacher's text, student text, tests... Thank you!!!

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences, Boscopup. :) I do think it will help me to have both FLL2 and R&S3 here to look at, and they'll both probably be used resources. That said, could you tell me which of the R&S3 materials to get? I have seen there's a teacher's text, student text, tests... Thank you!!!

I only found the student text absolutely necessary at that level. I also have the TM, which is handy (plus it has some oral review if your child needs that). I've not used tests yet, though I have them. I also have the worksheets, but haven't used those either. My son usually needs very little practice in grammar concepts, so I haven't needed the extras. But hey, I have them in case one of the other kids needs them. :D

In grade 4, I've appreciated having the TM for checking work. Plus I can more quickly assign work if I can see what kind of output there is, and it's easier to select specific exercises based on which ones are "different" from each other if I can see the answers (eg, if there are 6 sentences to diagram and 3 have direct objects and 3 have predicate nominatives, I'll pick one of each for my son to diagram).