Menu

Has anyone used Math Lessons for a Living Education

kandty

I had the first one and LOVED it. To me (for some reason in my head) it reminded me of halfway between LOF and SM (I suppose because its living math, and I had to copy pages in the back of the book (cards, pieces etc).

I would of stayed with it, but my daughters not a "living math books" kinda gal. She wants stuff straight up, no stories. I liked it better than LOF, I suppose because, to me, LOF felt a bit more boyish, whereas ML4LE feels more neutral.

If you love living math books and problems, I think you really can't go wrong with Queens ones, but as I said, I didn't get to use it much :(

I had the first one and LOVED it. To me (for some reason in my head) it reminded me of halfway between LOF and SM (I suppose because its living math, and I had to copy pages in the back of the book (cards, pieces etc).

I would of stayed with it, but my daughters not a "living math books" kinda gal. She wants stuff straight up, no stories. I liked it better than LOF, I suppose because, to me, LOF felt a bit more boyish, whereas ML4LE feels more neutral.

If you love living math books and problems, I think you really can't go wrong with Queens ones, but as I said, I didn't get to use it much :(

I want to ask you questions about it, but I'm drawing a blank at the moment. The authors of the book don't seem to have a math background. Their bio just says homeschool mom and background in education. I would expect an author of a math series to have a math degree or at least a teaching degree or some sort of expanded knowledge in math. I guess I'm a little worried about this part. I have no idea if my ds will like the story approach. He does like LOF, but we just started that and it is all too easy and review at this point.

My dd is using this right now and she loves it! She has been a math phobic for so long that this has been a God-send. I started her back in level one so that she would gain confidence and relax with math. It is working. Between the stories and the hands on it is a perfect fit for her. Right now she is truly enjoying making her own right-brained flash cards.

I have a very girly dd. She didn't like LOF Apples because the story was boring. Math Lessons for a Living Education has a very involved story that involves math. It isn't fluffy. Some kids need the hook of a story to bridge the gap and make math interesting and real-world. She's one of them. She is flying through the first book, and loves it. We put Singapore on the shelf for awhile. Technically, she's a second grader. Because she has a late birthday, sometimes I treat her like a first grader. Depends on the subject.