Menu

for those who used Saxon Math

HappyLady

I really like Saxon Math (I think I'll start with 1 for my K'er) because I really want something scripted for me and repetitive for my DD. My first question is, could I get away with buying the cheaper version of the manipulatives from Rainbow Resource? And, the cost of the program alone runs between $70 - $100, depending on where I buy it. Is that a good rate for just a math curriculum that doesn't include manipulatives?

You will be fine with cheaper manipulatives, as long as they are a similar product. I think the price is pretty standard for math...keep in mind you will get back some of the money by re-using it with younger children or selling the book when you are finished. You can also buy it used to start with.

I bought my manipulatives from RR :) I think I bought one of the packages with some "optional items" maybe? But we had everything we needed and barely used some of it. (I think we only used the balance once?) Good news is we already have everything we need for Saxon 1.

Do you have the RR catalog? There is a page at the beginning of the math section and it breaks down what you need specifically for each level of Saxon.

I My first question is, could I get away with buying the cheaper version of the manipulatives from Rainbow Resource?

My manipulative set from Rainbow Resource worked well for us. It's been a decade and I still have most of the teddy bear counters and linking blocks floating around the house. The children played with those counters and blocks for years, and my littles are starting to play with them now. It was a good investment for us. :001_smile:

I think I bought the manipulatives from Saxon, but it wasn't a good use of my money. I didn't know about tge RR ones at the time. It wouldn't have been too hard to put it together as we went, if you ate so inclined (we had a foot ruler and dominoes and playing pieces from other games and toys that we already had) I might have liked more pattern blocks. It was nice to have it all in one place.

I bought all the teachers guides used from various places without problem. At one point my teacher's guide didn't match up with the worksheets, but it wasn't terrible - I just got a little creative.

I applaud your decision to start with 1. We started with K and then sped through it before the end of the year.

We only went through 3 then had to move to a different program that was a better fit for us.