Menu

US History

I am planning ahead to next year for my 10 year old. He hasn't really done much in terms of US History. Ideally, I would like something that is not time intensive and secular. I'm looking for a one year program.

I would like to supplement with some good books. He is a very strong reader. Any suggestions for books would be much appreciated. And I will supplement with Chester Comix.

Is there anything audio based that I can look into.

Thanks.

Bill and Moira on another thread mentioned The Drama of American History by the Colliers brothers as an alternative to the Hakim books. I really need things on audio, so I haven't followed up on those more. It sounds as though they are OOP but available at a good price on Kindle and Nook. I am familiar with the historical fiction by these same authors and it is really good. My older son read My Brother Sam is Dead about the American Revolution and really liked it.

In our case, my 10 year old is not a prolific reader and has some vision problems, so I've been looking for and using audio and DVD resources. He has had a good exposure to discrete topics in American history through travels, documentaries, and historical fiction audios, but I was looking for something of a comprehensive overview so he would get a view of the big picture. We are also working our way through a multiDVD set on the American Presidents (history channel, I think) -- he already knows a fair amount about the Presidents but I figured it was another way to do a survey.

I feel like I've seen some good threads here in the past about historical fiction set in American history. There's quite a bit of that on audible if you want audio resources, or of course the books themselves.

Here's one thread:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/455718-american-history-using-real-books/page__hl__american%20historical%20fiction#entry4715563

Agree about Chester Comix -- love them.

Since we are working through this ourselves, I'll pop back here and post if I find anything else that's good.

• 2 weeks later...

NetFlix has an American History Kids series but the name escapes me. Anyone else know?

Are you thinking of Liberty's Kids? It covers early American history. There's also the America: The Story of Us documentary series for a decent overview of early American to current. Also Drive Thru History has done some American history topics (in addition to their world history ones). My DS10 enjoyed and learned quite a bit from all of these videos.

ETA: OP, I noticed you asked for secular resources. Just wanted to mention Drive Thru History has a Christian perspective but it isn't overwhelmingly so. As secular homeschoolers we still enjoyed those and I don't recall anything offensive towards other beliefs.