Menu

Science Curriculum With Weekly Experiments?

Smithie

We are going back to homeschooling next year! :hurray:

I will have two fourth-graders and a second-grader, all bright and reasonably compliant. Science is not one of my particular interests, so I feel the need for more structure in that subject and in particular a forcing function that will ensure that we have regular "hands-on" lessons. (Left to myself, I am likely to just let them watch a Brainpop video after they've completed a written lesson, rather than making a mess in the kitchen.)

The second-grader can handle fourth-grade curriculum, so I'm looking for one program to serve all three kids. Any thought?

I am REALLY excited about our science curriculum for next year. (That being said, I haven't used anything in the series YET)

Check out R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey. We will be using the Life Science book and it looks packed full of HANDS ON science.

(We are also ordering Green Thumbs and a bunch of hands on projects like a butterfly garden, Grow-a-frog kit, etc.)

Also, just wanted to say, if your kids don't clamor for more hands-on science at this age, there's nothing wrong with BrainPop videos or things like Magic School Bus, Beakman's World, Mythbusters, etc. There's tons of learning to be had just from those!

Ruth (lewelma) has been rocking my science world with her thoughtful posts on these boards. You may want to check out her recent post about developing advanced reading as background for selecting a science program that fits your family. Her proposal is that for a parent who is short on time or energy, that limited energy should be channeled first to developing the reading skills students will need to learn science (and other content) down the road. The carefully-selected hands-on activities have specific purposes within that framework.