Menu

(kinda) Real Estate related question

gingersmom

I sold my house. Its officially under contract and I am now just sitting tight till the closing.

My living room has a ceiling fan with a light (actually 4 lightbulbs). Only 1 has been working for years.

The day the buyer signed the contract the 1 bulb was working. Now its not.

This light fixture has been an issue for years and now it is officially broken.

Do I need to put up another ceiling fan with light or do you think it matters?

(I would ask my realtor but he's kinda a jerk)

I'd replace the ceiling fan with light.

It was quite annoying to walk into our master bedroom at final walk through and find the owner had taken the ceiling fan/light with him (which was attached to the ceiling) when he left, so the room had NO LIGHT after dark. We didn't scuttle the deal due to that but we could have made an issue of it at closing.

If they want to make a stink, it could delay closing or they may ask you to pay for the repair at closing. That's assuming they find it during the pre-closing walk-through. I wouldn't want to take the chance.

Our seller was supposed to make a repair on our fireplace, and we missed it during the walk through. We were on our own (FSBO), and in somewhat of a rush as there had been a huge snowstorm the night before. We had to shovel out at our rental, shovel the driveway to even get in the door at the new place for the walk through, and as a result missed checking on the repair (we were more focused on roof leaks, etc. given the snowstorm, checking nothing had been damaged while moving furniture out, etc.)

. Had we discovered it at the walk through, we would have demanded the $ for the repair at closing or it would have delayed it. DH is still ticked at the seller to this day over it (several hundred dollar repair that she didn't want to do in the first place, but DID agree to as part of the contract). They might not delay or ask for the money or even discover it at walk-through, but do you want to deal with worrying about it?