Menu

Ron Paul curriculum??

MeganW

This came through our local homeschool loop:

"Politics aside, Ron Paul is creating a home school curriculum that from k-5 will be free then a fee side for 6-12, very nominal at $250. It will go live in Sept 2013 and is web based. I know we home school parents tend to try stuff out often to find what works for us." ... "Based on what I have read about this one, it seems to be pretty old school in focus, which isn't so bad and covers economics and original source documentation on teaching history!"

http://www.ronpaulcu...public/main.cfm

Anyone heard of this? Thoughts?

Truthfully, I was excited to "really" look at it but after reading the above linked forum posts, I'm not sure it's even worth my time. I was originally under the impression that Ron Paul was the main curriculum writer and looked forward to some of the business and economics type classes. As I now understand it Ron Paul has very little to do with the curriculum and has his associates writing it for him, one of which is a nut job.

Truthfully, I was excited to "really" look at it but after reading the above linked forum posts, I'm not sure it's even worth my time. I was originally under the impression that Ron Paul was the main curriculum writer and looked forward to some of the business and economics type classes. As I now understand it Ron Paul has very little to do with the curriculum and has his associates writing it for him, one of which is a nut job.

This is my current understanding as well. I'm waiting for Ron Paul to come out and make some public statement about it, outside of a press release and Lew Rockwell and others defending the curriculum in blog posts. I really want to hear what he has to say about it and why he thinks Gary North is the best man for the job. :001_huh:

You know, sort of off topic but the other day (and I may of posted something about it) I was sitting there thinking "Ron Paul curriculum looks rather like a vague version of Robinson Curriculum"

Then there was all that talk about Gary North.

Then I was browsing round the Robinson Curriculum site, and found two areas where Gary North was mentioned. Under Audio-Video is an interview with him about education, and under links/resources is a link to Gary North's "christian economic commentary of the bible"

Then on one of Gary Norths sites, he mentions the Robinson curriculum and endorses it/says people should use it.

And he's supposedly behind the writing of the Ron Paul Curriculum.

So not really any point, it was just an intriguing small world/goes round in a circle thing I came across, that made me stop and ponder.

I was originally under the impression that Ron Paul was the main curriculum writer and looked forward to some of the business and economics type classes.

That was my initial thought. Glad I read through the linked posts!!!

You know, sort of off topic but the other day (and I may of posted something about it) I was sitting there thinking "Ron Paul curriculum looks rather like a vague version of Robinson Curriculum"

Then there was all that talk about Gary North.

Then I was browsing round the Robinson Curriculum site, and found two areas where Gary North was mentioned. Under Audio-Video is an interview with him about education, and under links/resources is a link to Gary North's "christian economic commentary of the bible"

Then on one of Gary Norths sites, he mentions the Robinson curriculum and endorses it/says people should use it.

And he's supposedly behind the writing of the Ron Paul Curriculum.

So not really any point, it was just an intriguing small world/goes round in a circle thing I came across, that made me stop and ponder.

Art Robinson is also mentioned in the Richard Maybury ("Uncle Eric") books on economics and government. I didn't notice that a few years ago when we first started reading the Maybury books, but I did notice that Ron Paul sounded *justlike* Maybury in his political speeches. They also agree on the reasons we sometimes go to war.... and while there may be SOME truth in it (I'm not arguing whether there is or isn't), they just simply don't have all their historical facts right. People who are writing homeschool curriculum ought to at least tell the truth.

Harvey & Laurie Bluedorn (Teaching the Trivium) are delegates/strong supporters of Ron Paul.

So when someone says "Politics aside," I think, "Baloney." It's all about politics. :glare:

Gary North is married to the daughter of R.J. Rushdoony, who is considered the "Father of Christian Reconstructionism" in America. I'm not sure, but I think I've heard that he denies the Holocaust ever happened. I would bet my dh's paycheck that Rushdoony is somewhere behind this Ron Paul curriculum.

I went to the older thread to check the comments. Based on the less than favorable FAQs the curriculum web site has posted and the responses they gtom on the WTM thread, I decided to send a few snippets to the RP curriculum "contact us" email to see how they'd respond...since they seem to be turning at least some people away before they're even up and running. I figured they'd want a chance to correct the situation.

here's the response I got to my email from the RP curriculum representative:

<<<<<<<

Thank you for your email and concerns from others you have listed.

Ron Paul Curriculum is just that, a curriculum, it is not an academy. If you buy a curriculum, you don't expect a live teacher to come with it. If you are in an academy, you expect a live teacher to be available. Again, we are not an academy.

In regard to announcing with nothing to show, there is one course already available for those who chose to get a membership. It is the ABC (Academic Basics Course). Also, we understand not everyone likes to participate in something new, and that is fine. A 100% refund is offered if they sign up and find that it doesn't fit their needs. Please see: http://www.ronpaulcurriculum.com/public/143.cfm

Some parents may have a concern about self-teaching (please see FAQ: http://www.ronpaulcurriculum.com/public/136.cfm). Not all children are up to the challenge of self-teaching. That is for the parent to decide. The Ron Paul Curriculum isn't for everyone. Even though it is self-teaching, it doesn't mean they can't ask for help. We have forums for them to ask others for help. Parents, fellow-students, and anyone who is a member are encouraged to respond to help.

Not all students will need to take all courses. Not everyone is suited for everything. If you purchase a course for your child, and they simply cannot understand, it isn't for them. Drop the course and ask for a refund. It's that simple.

Parents want what is best for their child. Not all children are able to do higher math (or whatever subject). Students should strive to do their best, but in reality, no two are alike and must find their niche.

Should you have any other questions or concerns, please let me know.

>>>>>>>>>>>

So when someone says "Politics aside," I think, "Baloney." It's all about politics. :glare:

Gary North is married to the daughter of R.J. Rushdoony, who is considered the "Father of Christian Reconstructionism" in America. I'm not sure, but I think I've heard that he denies the Holocaust ever happened. I would bet my dh's paycheck that Rushdoony is somewhere behind this Ron Paul curriculum.

Now *that* is a fascinating little bit of trivia. Thanks for the info.

ETA: I mean, it's fascinating to me personally. I grew up in a Rushdoony-derived cult, and so I'm always interested when I hear his name come up in other contexts. Not that it changes my non-interest in the Ron Paul curriculum one way or the other. ;)