Menu

IEW's new program for 1st/2nd graders?

MeganW

I think it is new enough that not many have used it. Here's a thread on it. I'm actually planning to use it for my third grader along with WWE 3 starting in the next couple of weeks. We haven't done anything from IEW before and even though this is aimed at a bit younger I don't want to overwhelm him when we will already be doing WWE3. It looks like from the sample that Bible Heroes doesn't have any narration/dictation, just outlining, vocab, etc. (although I can't say for sure since I haven't purchased it yet!). I don't want to lose where we are with narration/dictation, that is why we will use both. I'm looking at this as a good, gentle intro to IEW.

I purchased it when they were hear doing a conference. They said it was geared toward second but could be used with a reluctant writer up to 5th grade. I'm planning to use it with my rising 4th grader who is dyslexic. Each lesson has a bible story (that is written in a larger font) that I will have my son read each day. There is also a vocabulary activity and grammar activity each week in addition to writing. We are starting it in August.

Can this stand alone, or is it really recommended to be done in addition to other IEW components?

I *think* it is meant to be used after their PAL reading / writing, but before their regular IEW program, so it would be stand alone.

I was considering this for summer.

In fall we are doing MP CC Fable, but after this thread thought it may not be a bad idea to learn key word outlines over the summer: http://forums.welltr...wo#entry4488523

However, the description of the Bible Hereos says the following so not sure how it would work for us since I haven't watched the seminar:

These lessons are designed to be used by an instructor who has been through the Teaching Writing: Structure & Style seminar, either live or on DVD.

I purchased this at our convention for my 2nd grader. We've been working on it for about two weeks - just doing key-word outlines and verbal reports. Had a lesson on nouns and adjectives which he caught onto very quickly. I think it's perfect for this age.

It seems to be a really good fit for him right now. He's been reading fluently for at least a year (using Phonics Pathways, not PAL), he's about half way through R&S English 2 and almost done with R&S spelling 2. I'm sure he actually could have started it in the fall, but, it wasn't available :)

As far as the TWSS lectures, I'm not a good one to answer whether you need them or not. I've watched them (a few years ago), then sold them and have not referred to them since but I did watch them once. I did use several themed-based books without having watched them and from that experience, I don't think there would be too much difficulty in using Bible Heroes without having the DVD's but I know that isn't the answer that the IEW folks would want to hear.