Menu

Lots of questions about Sonlight Core 300 Modern World History

It looks like my high school plan is changing. I have an opportunity to use Core 300- Modern World History next year. This will be my first year homeschooling high school and my first year with Sonlight. I have the older (2007) IG. As I'm looking through it, I'm wondering how you all break down the course work to assign grades for bible, history/geography and world lit. I will probably add Easy Grammar and Wordly Wise into the English/World lit grade. I still have to look at Analogies 3 to see if I want to include it. I've read in several places about not worrying about doing everything in the guide. I have no idea what to eliminate if I felt the need to trim it down. Just the size of the binder can be intimidating. It makes me wonder if we are biting off more than we can chew. If you've used Core 300, I'd love to hear how you used it ... what did you add or leave out? I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts and suggestions. Thanks so much!

I have never used the Modern World History core but we are using core 200. A couple of general SL tips for binder use because it is to cumbersome and heavy.......

You can get a smaller (1 inch or so) binder and move a few weeks over. Arrange the schedule followed by all info pertaining to those books by week. When I use this method I update weekly by moving completed items back to the main book. Clutter control is important when using SL or I tend to get overwhelmed by too much paper.

With Core 200 I have tried a different approach. I have a stack of those cheap colored cardboardish folders with the center things(can't think of the proper name) so paper can be hooked in. I have put the schedules in one. The lit guides in another etc. In 200 a couple of guides are really huge so they have their own notebook. Dd and I are both working or way through this somewhat individually but together. This method is allowing us to share easier.

One more thing that I just thought of is that SL came out with student guides for the high school cores a couple of years ago. Our 200 has that. It would be fairly easy to create that by simply pulling the discussion questions out onto a separate piece of paper for each book. Dd has found she prefers to write her answers then talk.

I hope you enjoy your SL core. We have always loved SL. The books can be wonderful. I would add in all the language arts components. They do fill the program out and things like the Wordly Wise do not take long to complete.