Menu

Kindle Fire 8GB, 16GB, 32GB?

Night Elf

Stupid question of the day but what exactly do these mean? I want to upgrade my 2nd generation Kindle to a Kindle Fire, mostly because it's a color screen and I can read magazines on it. I seriously doubt I'll use all the features on it. I probably won't browse the internet because I like keyboards and my laptop is just fine. I don't think I'll watch tv shows or movies either. It all sounds cool but when I really think about it, I'm sure I'll use it like an ereader more than anything else.

I really want thee 8.9" size just because if I'm going to upgrade, I want to do it right. But I don't know if I can really justify the expense. But then I start looking at the GB issues and I have no idea what I really need. Can you help me wade through this? I have about 100 books on my Kindle right now and it's taken me a couple of years to get that much. I also wish I knew how to delete books off my Kindle but leave them on my account. When I try to delete one, it puts it into an archived file on my Kindle. It's weird.

If you're going to the 8.9", I think you'll be just fine with the 16GB with what you want to use it for. Unless you're downloading a lot of apps, you really don't need a lot of space.

As far as the archived file, when you select "remove from device," it really is removing the file from the device. It shows up in the archived list so that you have an easy way to download it again when needed. On the Fire, you'll have the same option. The difference is that you'll have a menu option under "Books" where you can see what you have in the cloud and what you have on the device.

If you're going to the 8.9", I think you'll be just fine with the 16GB with what you want to use it for. Unless you're downloading a lot of apps, you really don't need a lot of space.

Ah, good to know. I should have also mentioned I was thinking of the regular 8GB Fire simply because I feel so guilty at paying so much for the larger screen but it's just so cool. The 8.9" device is twice as heavy as my 2nd generation and I'm worried it will feel too heavy to hold up while I'm in bed. I guess I'd get used to it quickly though. I've been trying to make this decision for a month now. It's just such a big decision that I want to get the right one. I think I'm going for the 8.9" 16GB model. I spend the most time thinking about that one.

Ah, good to know. I should have also mentioned I was thinking of the regular 8GB Fire simply because I feel so guilty at paying so much for the larger screen but it's just so cool. The 8.9" device is twice as heavy as my 2nd generation and I'm worried it will feel too heavy to hold up while I'm in bed. I guess I'd get used to it quickly though. I've been trying to make this decision for a month now. It's just such a big decision that I want to get the right one. I think I'm going for the 8.9" 16GB model. I spend the most time thinking about that one.

It probably depends on how you're sitting in bed. Knees up and the Fire propped against them? No problem. Otherwise, I would probably get a simple folio stand that props it up for you. I have an Otterbox for mine because my kids are little and grabby. It lets me prop the Fire up horizontally or vertically, so it's great for reading in bed or for having it on the kitchen countertop while I follow a recipe.

The 7" models are great, too. We have them for our two older kids. I have to agree with you on the larger screen, though. I use my Fire more than my desktop, so it's nice to have more viewing area.