Menu

Self-teaching History & Science

frogleymom

We have seven children from 7 1/2 years down to 4 weeks. Currently we have a 2nd grader, a 1st grader, a pre-k, and several younger ones. We LOVE using Phonics Road with our oldest two, and we have enjoyed RightStart Mathematics. We have used some various science and history curricula, but I'm not using them now. DH is very concerned and would prefer that we "did school" more often than we are currently doing.

Unfortunately, I'm having a really hard time finding the time to do lots of teacher-intensive curricula at this stage of motherhood, and I'm trying to find some other options. We would like to continue with Phonics Road, but we are trying out Math Mammoth now, and are specifically looking for history & science options.

My hope for the "perfect" curriculum:

Using classic books at appropriate reading levels.

Written work (essays, copywork, etc) to test comprehension

Book lists focusing on four year history rotation & four year science rotation

Conservative Christian values, but non-denominational

Minimal parental involvement (making reading assignments, and correcting essays & copywork, but not involved in lecturing or projects or anything)

Inexpensive (isn't this helpful for all curricula? ;) )

I have looked a bit into Robinson Curriculum and Accelerated Achievement, but I'm thinking those are focusing more on the 3-R's, and less on history and science? I feel like we have the 3-R's mostly covered.

One other thought is if there is some formula for using any book for a self-teaching curricula, I would love to know it. (Something like: read 3 pages, write 4 sentances about what you read, define 2 vocab words from the passage you read, and copy one sentance.) I guess Charlotte Mason basically teaches this, but I'm just not sure how to assign things like this to my kids. I don't feel like I have time to research much of anything, and really I just need something I can hand to my kids. Currently I'm handing them a folder each day with a handwriting worksheet (that I created) to practice with, and a few Math Mammoth worksheets. Then I'm working on making sure I spend 30-45 minutes with each of the older three doing PR. I would like to be able to add a reading assignment with comprehension exercises or writing assignments to the folders of the older two, to cover their history and possibly science.

Any ideas, thoughts, suggestions?

Thank you!

What are the ages of the children you are schooling right now? Seven-and-a-half isn't that old. So, I would think you could pretty much lump all of your schooling children together for science and history. Unfortunately, I think all history and science is teacher-intensive at that age. There are some science and history books written at the first-grade/second-grade reading level, but not a lot. And, they aren't very comprehensive. You would still have to read to them. Or, show DVDs or something. We use a very hands-on approach, along with reading tons of books for those subjects. Independent reading, writing a couple of sentences and defining words wouldn't work for my DD who is nearly six.

Have you looked into Evan-Moor ScienceWorks? It's a leveled series. You could teach at the highest level and use lower leveled activities for your younger kids.

For example, you could use the first book for your older kids. And, the second for your younger kids.

51KFc8toCoL._SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-dp,TopRight,12,-18_SH30_OU01_AA160_.jpg51SbUFDnCHL._SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-dp,TopRight,12,-18_SH30_OU01_AA160_.jpg

Don't judge the books by their covers. They are better inside.

http://www.evan-moor.com/p/415/ScienceWorks-for-Kids-How-Your-Body-Works

http://www.evan-moor.com/p/430/ScienceWorks-for-Kids-Learning-About-My-Body

Well, i vote for teaching science and history all together - and just vary what the youngers do. We just started Elemental Science Physics, and I have Earth and Space to do with my younger one. There aren't a lot of books required, and it actually is pretty easy to implement. The student workbook pages have spots for summaries, and it is pretty easy to do in 2 days a week (she gives you 2 and 5 day schedules). I would think you have a nap time you could maybe schedule 2 days of history and 2 days of science? Or make it a family weekend fun project day?

The other thing that came to mind was BJU Distance Learning - the science and history are fun classes, and the DVD teaches everything. Again, I would just pick one level for now. It doesn't necessarily fit your requirements though - but it mets the "take the pressure off of mom" thing.

Supercharged Science might work too - I honestly have no idea how things are set up on their website these days, we own a big kit and the book and I think we have access to online stuff. I really need to sort that out myself!

And, my kids have absorbed an insane amount from watching the Magic Schoolbus.... over and over and over. So there is always that!

:grouphug: I think you probably need one about this time.

ETA: https://elementalscience.com/classic.html

Biology is K-2 - so it would be a great fit for your crew!!

My oldest will be 8 in May, #2 will be 7 in May, #3 turned 5 in December, #4 &5 are 3 1/2, #6 is 18 months, and #7 is 4 weeks. Next fall I'll have a 3rd grader, 2nd grader, kinder, 2 pre-k 4 (they'd miss the deadline for public school), and a toddler and infant.

I have no problem teaching my older three together... in theory. In practice, my oldest is more advanced and happily does the work, while the others drag their toes, whine and complain, or just don't pay attention or understand. My 5yo isn't writing more than letters at this point, and can't really do much more than listen to read-alouds, give me a short narration, and possibly some very short copywork. Which is probably fine for her.

The main issue though, is that I don't seem to even be able to have time for that. We had a girl coming to play with my littles once a week so I could do history with the oldest two, but she moved out of state and can't come anymore. When she did come, she was here for two hours, and we could sometimes finish a week's worth of history in those two hours... depending on cooperation. Without someone watching the younger ones though, I'm just not able to give a history lesson the focused attention it would need. I only have one who takes consistent, predictable naps, and when I do manage to enforce a quiet time, I end up napping too... and I need it.

I'm really hoping to find something that I can give to my kids workbox style and have them do mostly on their own... at least the oldest. I could possibly do some read-alouds for history & science for the younger ones, but then I'd like to be able to hand them a composition book, or a worksheet or something and have them complete it on their own.

I've seen some of the Evan-Moor things. We used some of their History Pockets last year. My kids loved them... but I had a hard time with the projects. I'm probably horrible for this... but I have a really hard time with my kids using craft supplies. There are so many little ones around here that it's nearly impossible to monitor all of those, and we end up with far too many markers/crayons/pencils/pens on walls/furniture/clothing/etc, as well as scissors & glue being misused to glue papers to the wall, or cut clothing/hair/toys/bedding/etc. And it's not always the tiny ones doing it. My kids are very artistic and creative and I try to give them a chance a few times a week to create things (plus they get a lot of art time at our co-op), but I don't have the energy for extra crafts right now.

I'll need to look into the Elemental Science stuff, thanks for the link. My kids LOVE Magic Schoolbus when they watch it at Grandma's. We are trying to limit screen time as much as possible, do you think they'd get as much out of the books? Maybe I could get some from the library.

How well does the oldest read? The Task Card approach by Creek Edge Press might be what you need - especially if you could read books or have the oldest do some read alouds to the next in line. The task cards give specific activities to be completed; so, they're pretty easy to use in that regard. Initially it would take some effort, and with ones that little you'd have to be sure to have materials on had that they could read.

Does your husband just want you to do more science and history or does he just want the children doing more school work? Given that history requires reading it is difficult for littles to do on their own.

When my youngest was born (well really the crazy stage after that good newborn stage where they don't make much noise or need much other than cuddles) I would sometimes only read SOTW and ask a couple of questions of the oldest. If it was a good day she'd do a narration for me. And sometimes she'd draw a picture or something to go with it.

So, I guess if the goal is that they have exposure to some history and science, they just reading aloud could work. SL's DVD set for science might be a nice way to let the kids see the experiments without you having to get the things ready for them to do them. :) And you wouldn't have to clean up afterwards. If the goal is that they have "something to show" for their learning, then the task cards or some other approach - let them use the camera to take picutres or create plays/movies based on the history that's been read.

I think DH mostly wants them to have some exposure to History & Science, and to be in the habit of "doing school." I think he would like them to be doing things so they actually retain some of the information they learn, but he knows I'm not very good with the projects & activities, and he'd really just like us to be doing something rather than nothing.

Those Task Cards look fantastic! My oldest could definitely do those on her own. I have no idea what her official reading level is, but she enjoys reading Magic Tree House and American Girl books out loud to her sisters after bedtime. :) My second might not enjoy the task card idea as much as my oldest, but she would love to explore in a "prepared environment." Actually, all of my kids would enjoy that. :)

Hmmm... good things to consider, thanks!

If anyone else has other suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

Its the middle of the night, and I should be sleeping.... But...

At that link I gave you, there is Sassafras Science Zoology. It has three parts, a reader, the teacher guide and the logbook for the kids. It might work if you think you could read it to all of them, have them do the logbook and then maybe do some of the extras for the oldest - or have him/her read from the teacher guide and do it?

The Human Body is the next in the series.

What about the Answers in Genesis workbooks?

http://www.answersingenesis.org/store/product/gods-design-science-curriculum/?sku=40-1-323

The Story of the World audiobooks are good, my kids enjoyed listening to them in the car a few years ago, and we will be using the Middle Ages one starting again this week. There are tons of pieces around you can buy for it, and I bet you could find something for all the ages.

Elemental History might work - it is a pretty simple American History published by the Elemental Science peeps but not written by Paige. Elementalhistory.com for that I think.

I'm out of ideas for you right now! Hang in there, and have more chocolate ;)

I agree with the the suggestion of evan moor, I've just subscribed to a years subscription to teachersfilebox.com which gives you access to evan moor for a year, it has grades from k-8. I joined via Home School buyers Coop as I got 30 % off.

Another source you may consider and is worth looking at is Easy Peasy - All in One Homeschool a home school mom has put together an online curriculum, it really is worth a look, especially if finances are in short supply.

HTH

What about time4learning? That would be fun and cover lots for those ages.

This would actually alleviate a lot from you right now. I know you are limiting screen time, but this would at least let the older kids be doing education stuff while you had to be busy with the little ones. There is a free trial even.

When mine were little we just made sure to read a book from each subject everyday. If you did something like From Abeku to Zapotec or Children Just Like Me it takes just a minute or two to read and then you can all label the country on a map. Then you can read from a simple history book and have each child tell you 2 or 3 things they remember from the book. Do the same with science and discuss science throughout your days, pointing out demonstrations of what you've learned in school. You can also have them pick a tree that they sketch on whatever schedule you like. We have done once a week and in busy years with baby we have done just a few times a year. Even the little ones can do this and they all get the benefit of studying something in depth for a long time even as it grows and changes with the seasons.

Good science books for little ones are the Let's Read and Find Out books. Most libraries have them or you can pick them up at thrift stores occasionally. They are leveled 1,2, and 3, but older kids benefit from all levels.

SWB recommends fairy tales as a foundation for understanding cultures so that future history reading can have context. Reading them is a valuable use of history time and may hold the little ones' attention better. Maybe you could correlate some fairy tales with the geography I mentioned above. Usborne has good simple versions or you could try Lang's books, which are free online.

HTH

Well first let me tell you that you have chosen wisely when it comes to time management. Phonics Road and Right Start are very teacher intensive but those subjects are the key focus of school for the ages you are dealing with. History and Science are very secondary for those ages. For history I would consider the self-paced VP history program. It is fantastic and would also take a bit off your plate. VP starts history in the 2nd grade which I personally think it plenty early. For the youngers you could read them stories of famous people, read about different countries etc.

For science, Elemental Science that has been recommended is terrific. if you'd rather not do something that formal, pick a Magic School Bus episode. Watch it all together. Get some books from the library. Do an experiment (there are lots of experiment books available in the library or on amazon). Rinse and repeat.

Your kids are so young. No need to make school a long and formal process so early. You are taking care of the important things very well with PR and RS. Relax and enjoy it.

Heather

Ace Paces from www.aceministries.com are for independent learning and might fit well with your crew. All subjects are included in their curriculum packages. The Paces explain the concepts and then have exercises to reinforce the learning. I would look at their schedule/planner packet. It has the student make his goals, write them in, and check them off when completed. It tells the student when to correct his own work and where to record the score, which works for some students but not others. You can find samples of all of the Paces at Christian Book.

I think DH mostly wants them to have some exposure to History & Science, and to be in the habit of "doing school." I think he would like them to be doing things so they actually retain some of the information they learn, but he knows I'm not very good with the projects & activities, and he'd really just like us to be doing something rather than nothing.

If anyone else has other suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

I tend to take the "mostly exposure" method for history and science with my dc until about 5th or 6th grade. With my 1st and 4th grader this year I have just had them read for history and science. My 4th grader reads a chapter of A Child's History of the World each day, then narrates orally to me about what he read. Then he chooses a sentence or two from the chapter (approved by me so that I can make sure it's more than a couple of words long) to copy. Ideally, at his age I would have him write his narrations, but he is dyslexic and struggles terribly with spelling. For now, oral narrations are fine with me. My 1st grader does the same thing, except that she reads a Childhood of Famous Americans book several chapters at a time. She tells me about the portion she read, then picks a sentence to copy (again, approved by me).

Neither of my younger two dc have much interest in science. I do assign a Let's Read and Find Out book or a few pages of one of the Christian Liberty Press Nature Readers every couple of weeks. I'll probably have my 4th grader read one of the Apologia Elementary Science books next year. They have narration prompts throughout the book.

This method worked very well for my oldest two. My 15yo now loves history and government and wants to major in that area in college. My 13yo loves science and is thinking about majoring in chemistry.

HTH!