Menu

If ds liked the style of Don Quixote, what else should he read?

At what level do you want the book to be? My youngest really enjoyed Oliver Twist for all of it's sentimentality because of some of the plays on words and sly humor.

Geraldine McCoughrean's One Thousand and One Arabian Nights is really well done and she captures the quick and subtle wit representative of many Eastern cultures. I have an adult version on the way to see if it is half as captivating.

Well.... I think Cervantes is unique, so there's nothing quite exactly like him, but, here's an eclectic list for you, with some more like the journey/journey of self discovery aspect, and others more heavy on the quirky humor. Hope that will trigger something for you! Happy reading! Warmest regards, Lori D.

B.C.

The Odyssey (Homer)

14th century

some of the Canterbury Tales (Chaucer)

Utopia (Moore)

18th century

Gulliver's Travels (Swift)

Candide (Voltaire) -- a bit ribald in parts

19th century

David Copperfield (or Oliver Twist) (Dickens)

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Twain)

20th century

The Man Who Was Thursday (Chesterton)

Father Brown short story mysteries (Chesterton)

The Importance of Being Earnest (Wilde)

works by P.G. Wodehouse -- Wodehouse on Crime is a great short story collection

To Kill a Mockingbird (Lee)

The Princess Bride (Goldman)

Confederacy of Dunces (Toole) -- a bit ribald in parts

Once and Future King was a huge hit here. It has Monty Python written all over certain parts of it. My son will never forget the Questing Beast finding a "mate."

Also, "A Modest Proposal" was an absolute mind blower for my youngest. He talked about it as much as he talked about 1984 and The inferno.

Technically Don Quixote is satire. He might look at other works of satire such as Lisa's A Modest Proposal. However, he might before tackling that, tackle Swift's other work Gulliver's Travels which is also satire. I'm not totally sure he will like Swift because Cervantes is so gentle for satire and Swift is the opposite.

He may also like Moliere's Tartuffe and other plays. For that matter the whole 18th Century was rife with satire so trying there might be a place to look. In poetry try Pope's Rape of the Lock (faeries steal a lock of hair). Also tons of drama filled with satire.