Menu

Art portfolio

Is this for a child who is planning to major in art? My dd plans to major in art and I've looked at different schools -- most will tell you how to submit a portfolio online or on a disk. Personally, I wouldn't submit a piece of art work to a college because the college would probably not send it back, and there is always the possibility that the artwork could get damaged.

Martha

The school that is currently my son's first choice has this application process for their College of Design:

He must apply to the university by Nov 1 for the following fall, indicating one of the studio based majors as his first choice

An essay specific to the Design School by Nov 1

He must submit electronic portfolio - 10 images by Nov 1

If those meet the university minimum admission standards, they will forward his application to the College of Design for review.

Then, if the School of Design determine he is one of their top candidates, he will be called in Dec. for an interview in Jan.. Where he brings his portfolio and may be asked to demonstrate his skills in person.

Then they will take about 70-100 students, spread out over their four studio based departments. The largest program is architecture, which accounts for about half of the students admitted. So, other than architecture, there are 30 - 35 spots available each year. I've heard that their applicants number in the thousands each year, but I can't find the "real" number anywhere. I do know that for the university at large, they had over 20,000 applicants for the fall 2012 class and the freshman class was just over 4,000.

Long shot.