Menu

FLL Level 1 poetry, the originals, and substitutions...

tld

I've read that not all of the poems in FLL Level 1 use the original wording. Which ones are not original? And do you ever substitute the poems in FLL for other poems? If so, which poems do you substitute?

I plan on using FLL with my 1st grader. I had never read this about the poems. I would prefer that any poetry we read be the original author's words as well. I hope someone who knows more about this chimes in.

Well, I admit to using a different "Months" poem... There are a LOT of versions out there. I ended up picking one that sounded pretty good to me, although it wasn't the one in our math curriculum or that I'd memorized. (30 Days Hath September, April, June, & November. The rest have 31; no, wait! February has only 28! Except in Leap Year, that's the time, When February's days are 29.)

I also had them memorize the version of the Days of the Week poem that I memorized. (Monday's child is fair of face. Tuesday's child is full of grace. Wednesdays's child is full of woe. Thursday's child has far to go. ...)

Quite a few of the Level 1 poems are by "anonymous," which my children dislike. I'm unaware of the changing of any poems where it doesn't clearly state, "Adapted by Sara Buffington" (or whomever).

Well, I admit to using a different "Months" poem... There are a LOT of versions out there. I ended up picking one that sounded pretty good to me, although it wasn't the one in our math curriculum or that I'd memorized. (30 Days Hath September, April, June, & November. The rest have 31; no, wait! February has only 28! Except in Leap Year, that's the time, When February's days are 29.)

I also had them memorize the version of the Days of the Week poem that I memorized. (Monday's child is fair of face. Tuesday's child is full of grace. Wednesdays's child is full of woe. Thursday's child has far to go. ...)

Quite a few of the Level 1 poems are by "anonymous," which my children dislike. I'm unaware of the changing of any poems where it doesn't clearly state, "Adapted by Sara Buffington" (or whomever).

This is very similar to what we did. I substituted the "Months" poem for the one we used in RS. And I also had DD memorize the "Days of the Week" poem from my childhood Mother Goose book.

As for adaptations, I think "The Caterpillar" might be a bit different from the original, but they include a footnote regarding their choice.

I think almost all of them are public domain, too, so you can easily look up and compare and correct any you don't like the adaptations of. That's what I did. It's not like there are a ton of poems. I think the one I changed the most was going back to Sara Coleridge's The Months in Year 2 rather than the adaptation. And maybe Mr. Nobody? It's been a while :)

Those are the ones I changed to what I was used to as well.

As for adaptations, I think "The Caterpillar" might be a bit different from the original, but they include a footnote regarding their choice.

I didn't realize this wasn't the original. Thanks for pointing it out. I liked the change, though. I might let the kids know what the original sounds like.