Menu

Must Read Books for 8 year old girl?

She loved reading Journey of Edward Tulane (loved loved this book), Charlotte's Web, Tale of Despereaux and she is starting 39 Clues (her big bro's idea). Oh! She also adores Nancy Clancy and the Nancy Drew and the Clue Crew (Nancy is 8 years old) books.

Thank you!

Erin Hunter's Warriors series is a big hit with lots of the 8 yr old crowd here. Since your daughter likes Desperaux, she may also enjoy Brian Jacques Redwall series, which is one of my dd 8's favorites. If you haven't read Wind in the Willows yet, she loved that last year. Warriors is about cats, Redwall is about mice, and of course W in the W is about Mole and Rat. There's also Babe, the Gallant Pig by Dick King-Smith (about a pig that herds sheep).

HTH!

My DD recommends every horse book ever, but especially Black Beauty. It might be a bit of a stretch for her to read. Kate DiCamillo has several books she might like. Ariel LOVED Because of Winn-Dixie. The Moomintroll series by Tove Jansson has been a huge hit here, as well. I would have never found out about it if it weren't for this forum. Others off the top of my head:

The Night Fairy

The Boxcar Children

The Black Stallion

Misty of Chincoteague

The Little House on the Prairie series - I think Laura is 8 in On the Banks of Plum Creek

The Milly-Molly-Mandy Storybook

Ramona Quimby, Age 8

Emily's Runaway Imagination

The Invention of Hugo Cabret

I'm always hesitant about "must reads" but a few other quality ideas for a good 8 yo reader...

Poppy by Avi

Where the Mountain Meets the Moon by Grace Lin

The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall

From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine

The Witches by Roald Dahl (or something else by him!)

And I second a lot of the suggestions above like Ramona and Little House and the various works of Dick King-Smith.

I remember reading these around 7-8, but I was an advanced reader so you may want to look into them.

Anastasia series by Lois Lowry

Number the Stars by Lois Lowry

Most books by Roald Dahl

The Fudge series (starting with Tale of a Fourth Grade Nothing) by Judy Blume

Ramona Quimby books by Beverly Cleary