Menu

Afterschool math - middle and high

We have homeschooled for several years and plan on having our three boys return to public school next year. I have them on track to take Alg. 1 in 8th grade - a somewhat common track.

Well, turns out our county doesn't offer it at all until 9th. They do offer AP Calc in 12th but somehow skip PreCalc courses. They also block schedule all courses in high school so kids only have math one semester per year. The school has a low AP pass rate, and I've heard that kids from our county are having trouble doing well in math in college. Ugh!!!

So we're thinking of afterschooling math (and Rosetta Stone Spanish) in order to stay on the track we're on. Then actual math classes at school will more like review. I hate to do it to them, but I really don't know what else to do. Any advice? Thanks!.

We have homeschooled for several years and plan on having our three boys return to public school next year. I have them on track to take Alg. 1 in 8th grade - a somewhat common track.

Well, turns out our county doesn't offer it at all until 9th. They do offer AP Calc in 12th but somehow skip PreCalc courses. They also block schedule all courses in high school so kids only have math one semester per year. The school has a low AP pass rate, and I've heard that kids from our county are having trouble doing well in math in college. Ugh!!!

So we're thinking of afterschooling math (and Rosetta Stone Spanish) in order to stay on the track we're on. Then actual math classes at school will more like review. I hate to do it to them, but I really don't know what else to do. Any advice? Thanks!.

Wow. No algebra 1 until 9th grade? I am shocked. Thank goodness there is block scheduling - kids can double up on math if they'd like to. Many do that in our district.

I highly recommend you ask this on the logic board. Lots of math gurus there. This board is slow.

Best of luck!

Lisa,

Thanks - I may post there. Block scheduling could be an advantage, but not there. The only offer Alg. 1, Geo, Alg, 2, and Calc. So block scheduling just means they only have math one semester per year. A friend of mine tutors and told me the students often have Alg. 1 fall of freshman year, then don't have Geo. until spring of sophomore year.

A friend of mine tutors and told me the students often have Alg. 1 fall of freshman year, then don't have Geo. until spring of sophomore year.

I'll do Alg 2 for spring of freshman year at home than do pre-calc at home after Geometry in school in this case. 10 months (spring, summer hols, fall) of no math class sounds like a bad idea.