Menu

Anyone NOT like Atelier?

KellyMama

I've almost purchased it twice but hesitated because I'm not sure a.) which level (I'm guessing maybe 4?) and b.) if we will do it!!

Anyone have a reason not to like it or a concern or something they felt wasn't what they wanted it to be etc? Talk me out of or into it! lol :)

We have loved it. I bought Levels 1 & 2, and used Level 1 last year with my then-young 7 year olds, two 6 year olds, and a young 4 year old. The young 4 needed some support, but it was perfect for the others. My big kids have some minor fine motor delays, so based on my experience, I would say their age guidelines are pretty accurate. If you aren't sure, I would go with the lower end. *I* even enjoyed doing the Level 1 projects!

My kids LOVED the lessons. And I loved the lessons too! If you gather all the stuff up front, it is very very easy, and they all come out with really good projects! Happily, there is enough structure & instruction for everyone to feel confident, but still some latitude for creativity. We are planning to do Level 2 this summer with the same crowd.

We used level 3 this year and loved it. I feel like it is teaching real art and not crafts if you know what mean. Also, it is so easy to do. I gathered the supplies at the beginning of the year and kept them in a drawer and we just watched the video and and did the project. Art got done and I am buying the next level for next year.

Joy

Thank you! Yes, we do enough 'crafts' but other than discussions of artists in relation to our history studies, we haven't done any real 'art'! I've one back/forth on enrolling them in proper art classes, just because this is an area in which I feel so underprepared for teaching them, but I wanted to give something a go before that.

For our ages (fall we will have 13, 11, newly 10) do you think level 4 to start?

Can't talk you out of it!

It is very easy to use & our boys have loved it. They beg to do art! The results are amazing, which helps them love it all the more when they see how well their end product turns out. They really enjoy the DVDs, especially comparing their work to the examples.

HTH some :)

Pam

From what I can tell each level covers the same broad topics -line, color, perspective, etc. Level one makes three colors when mixing colors but level two does the tertiary colors as well. The line lesson becomes a little more complex with each new level.

If you're debating between levels 3 and 4, level 4 would be better suited for a child that is older or has good fine motor skills. In looking at the space lessons, level 4 requires more drawing and a greater level of detail. I notice the same difference in the composition lessons. Level 4 requires more detail. Level 5 is even more advanced. Let me put it this way. If I was choosing a level for myself as a pretty bad artist, I would feel comfortable in level 3, a bit challenged by level 4, and intimidated by level 5.

If you can swing it financially I would start at a lower level. I think it is a fantastic art program.

From what I can tell each level covers the same broad topics -line, color, perspective, etc. Level one makes three colors when mixing colors but level two does the tertiary colors as well. The line lesson becomes a little more complex with each new level.

If you're debating between levels 3 and 4, level 4 would be better suited for a child that is older or has good fine motor skills. In looking at the space lessons, level 4 requires more drawing and a greater level of detail. I notice the same difference in the composition lessons. Level 4 requires more detail. Level 5 is even more advanced. Let me put it this way. If I was choosing a level for myself as a pretty bad artist, I would feel comfortable in level 3, a bit challenged by level 4, and intimidated by level 5.

If you can swing it financially I would start at a lower level. I think it is a fantastic art program.

I think this is very helpful in determining where to start. Thank you.

I love the looks of this program as well, so I am all ears with this thread. The only reason I haven't gotten it yet is because of the cost. And to have to spend that every year is even more daunting. Can anyone tell me how many lessons are in each level and approximately how long you spend to complete each lesson? I'm wondering if it's something where we could do one lesson a week and spread it out over a couple of years. Is there enough there to do that?

I love the looks of this program as well, so I am all ears with this thread. The only reason I haven't gotten it yet is because of the cost. And to have to spend that every year is even more daunting. Can anyone tell me how many lessons are in each level and approximately how long you spend to complete each lesson? I'm wondering if it's something where we could do one lesson a week and spread it out over a couple of years. Is there enough there to do that?

I was thinking we'd do this too - not sure how long it would last us, but my plan was art on Fridays (we often do a craft project on those days).

Thank you! :) Ok based on this, I would totally see us being more comfortable with level 3. lol My middle dd loves to draw but hasn't had any formal instruction other than things she's picked up in art books or from a few artist friends we know. I didn't want it to be too simplistic or feel 'babyish' for my older one, but since none of them have had structured art classes at home (or in the 6 years of private school for my older dd!) I think we'll be better off with level 3.

I haven't used it...I went with Home Art Studio instead. But...when I was considering it, someone on the board here was kind enough to e-mail me the list of objectives for each lesson & module. I posted it last summer here. This might be helpful in placement. Btw, the link seems to start half way down the page....I actually started the thread, so you need to scroll up to start at the beginning.

I haven't used it...I went with Home Art Studio instead. But...when I was considering it, someone on the board here was kind enough to e-mail me the list of objectives for each lesson & module. I posted it last summer here. This might be helpful in placement. Btw, the link seems to start half way down the page....I actually started the thread, so you need to scroll up to start at the beginning.

That list is awesome, thank you! From reading through that, I'm wondering how specialized (aka expensive) the supplies will be? Hmmm. More to consider!

Each level has 3 modules - level 1 has 6 lessons per module for a total of 18 lessons(I believe the others have the same but not certain), so it's really more of an every other week program. I think it would be tough to stretch to two years unless you did it once a month. If you can swing the cost, it is totally worth it. My kids hear the music start on the DVD and they all run down to do art.

That list is awesome, thank you! From reading through that, I'm wondering how specialized (aka expensive) the supplies will be? Hmmm. More to consider!

Here are the supplies listed in the supply kit Atelier sells:

Product Detail

White Drawing Paper - 12" x 18" - 30 sheet sketchpad

Colored Construction Paper - 12" x 18" - 50 sheets of assorted color

Newsprint (Warm-up Paper) - 9" x 12" - 100 sheets

Tempera Paint - 12-Pack - 2 each of red, green, blue, yellow, black & white

Colored & Black Marking Pens

Watercolors - Prang 8-color pan with brush

Colored Drawing Chalk - Crayola box of 12 colors

Wax Crayons - Box of 16 colors

Paint Brush - 3/4" easel brush

Paint Brush - #10 general purpose camel hair

Sponge - 4" x 5"

Drawing Pencil

Pink Pearl Eraser

Elmer's School Glue

Provides a Student's Basic Requirements common to all modules

80-90% of the Art Supply Needs for Any Level

There is really nothing that special in the list. Even the lesson that called for oil pastels stated that crayons or oil pastels could be used.

Here are the supplies listed in the supply kit Atelier sells:

Product Detail

White Drawing Paper - 12" x 18" - 30 sheet sketchpad

Colored Construction Paper - 12" x 18" - 50 sheets of assorted color

Newsprint (Warm-up Paper) - 9" x 12" - 100 sheets

Tempera Paint - 12-Pack - 2 each of red, green, blue, yellow, black & white

Colored & Black Marking Pens

Watercolors - Prang 8-color pan with brush

Colored Drawing Chalk - Crayola box of 12 colors

Wax Crayons - Box of 16 colors

Paint Brush - 3/4" easel brush

Paint Brush - #10 general purpose camel hair

Sponge - 4" x 5"

Drawing Pencil

Pink Pearl Eraser

Elmer's School Glue

Provides a Student's Basic Requirements common to all modules

80-90% of the Art Supply Needs for Any Level

There is really nothing that special in the list. Even the lesson that called for oil pastels stated that crayons or oil pastels could be used.

Yes, this list seems quite simple - I guess I saw things like clay sculpting, paper mâché, and 'dry powdered tempura paint' and glazed over lol. We do actually have clay and glue etc on hand - I really don't know why art intimidates me so?!