Menu

The Well Trained Mind 2004 vs. 2009

The first edition teaches you how to use trade books as textbooks. The 3rd edition uses mostly Peace Hill Press books. I personally have no use for the 3rd edition, but love my first edition to pieces, literally--the binding on the first edition is notorious for breaking easily. :lol:

I don't know anything about the 2nd edition.

I think the first edition would be your best option for what you want. It gives you the what and why and suggests how to get a classical education done, but this edition makes it much easier to do it yourself without being tied to the PHP products. I love the 1st edition and refer to it often!

I bought the second edition on Kindle because I am overseas and the 3rd is not available. My wife purchased teh 3rd edition hardcopy. They are nearly identical in theory and practice. I cannot tell you what the references differences are since I dont; have them side by side, but can imagine that the are just as the PPs have commented.

I have both the first and third. I agree that the biggest difference is the curriculum recommendations. The 3rd has how to set up the notebooks in a convenient chart like format. Other than that, I'd choose the first because of the curriculum being mostly PHP in the 3rd. I like PHP, but I like having other choices. :)