Menu

What would you use alongside Teaching Textbooks if you just wanted to use something else as well?

amyrjoy

Still wanting to continue with Saxon next year with my daughter. She's doing 5/4. Last year she did TT3, and we did the first few lessons of 5/4 then at the end of the year. She's really hating Saxon most days, though I see it is sooo good for her. Would you use TT alongside Saxon? Maybe do just the odd or even problems of Saxon, and add in the TT lessons a few days a week? I feel maybe I need to get her attentive to her learning again...and maybe the computer lessons would do it. We've tried the DIVE cd this year, but she really doesn't want to watch it. I know she did really like TT, but I wanted to try the DIVE 5/4 this year. Again, she's doing better with math, as she struggles, but I'm asking so I can try to get something for her to do that can gain more of her interest. Thanks!

Right now, my plan is to use Horizons then move to Saxon and use with TT, just as you posted. I am not willing to use Horizons past 6th grade because their upper levels are newish. I know Saxon is a solid program, and I think my 7yo dd will benefit from the combo.

Another option that is on my radar is to use TT with the Key To... books. I buy most of my curriculum new through Sonlight, so here is a link to their website with the Key To... books: Key To...

I am not a person that needs to use more than one curriculum, so I am thinking the Key To... books may be an excellent alternative. Of course, I have 2-3 years before I actually change anything. We will use Horizons this year, then I will give the TT and Saxon placement tests, then again next year if she is not ready for one or the other. If she test into TT3, which is what I think will happen, we may go ahead and try the Horizons/TT combo for a year and see how it works before investing in the higher levels which are more expensive.

I would recommend something a bit more fun to go alongside either Saxon or Teaching Textbooks. Those are both really complete programs, so maybe something for her to enjoy and dig into a bit more challenging material?

How about Kitchen Table Math?

http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Wrights-Kitchen-Table-Math/dp/0982921101/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_y

or maybe Math Mysteries?

http://www.amazon.com/Fabulous-Math-Mysteries-Resist-Grades/dp/0439175402/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1364875802&sr=1-1&keywords=math+mysteries

I would use something conceptual along with teaching textbooks. My experience with Teaching Textbooks was that it focused on how to do a problem, not why it works. I don't know what level you're talking about, but Math Mammoth or Singapore or AOPS would be good options to balance TT. Key to Algebra is too much like Teaching Textbooks, it would overlap on the "how" and not provide much of the "why".