Menu

And the day was going so well....we can eat dessert first, right?

JFSinIL

Just saw that OTHER PEOPLE messing around with the kitchen timer on the back of the stove/oven managed to turn off the oven a mere half hour after I put the 11-pound spiral-sliced ham in to heat.....which I was going to take out in 30 minutes to roast veggies and heat rolls. The oven is cold. That ham has been sitting there NOT heating for almost 90 minutes. Relatives will be pulling up in the driveway any minute now.

At least the lamb cake is purty, and I have a big pan of tiramisu....and cold champagne. Dessert first!

I just remembered when I was a child my mother was expecting some very important guests from the church for dinner. She was making a roast. We had a gas (LP, possibly you call it propane) stove and used bottled gas (LP). Half way through cooking we ran out of gas. I remember she went into a complete panic and grabbed the roast and ran across the street knocking on doors trying to find a neighbour who would let her put the roast in their oven. before she left she put the vegetables into the burko to cook ( a funny electric thingy a bit like an electric kettle they don't exist nowadays) . the burko blew up literally. vegetables went flying around the room. I must have been around 10.

The very important guests ended up having take away fish and chips, wrapped in paper and eaten off the paper and they absolutely loved it. they were so use to having people serve them flash meals and hadn't had good old fish and chips for many a year.