Menu

BJU Science Online Questions

Paula in MS

I am considering using BJU Science 6 online for my dd next year, but I have a few questions.

1) How do the online classes work in a typical week? There is only a small snippet online. I guess I am asking about the flow. Do they review? Do experiments? Online tests?

2) Will I need to purchase an experiment kit for at home use? Are the experiments helpful?

I have watched a week of online classes for veritas press history, and I really love it. I just can't get the same feeling from the BJU science because there is not enough information for a good decision. Can someone give me a better idea? Thanks.

If it helps, I am between BJU 6 online and Rainbow science for a science oriented student. So, if you want to chime in to compare the two, that would be great as well. Thanks!

Paula

I am considering using BJU Science 6 online for my dd next year, but I have a few questions.

1) How do the online classes work in a typical week? There is only a small snippet online. I guess I am asking about the flow. Do they review? Do experiments? Online tests?

2) Will I need to purchase an experiment kit for at home use? Are the experiments helpful?

I have watched a week of online classes for veritas press history, and I really love it. I just can't get the same feeling from the BJU science because there is not enough information for a good decision. Can someone give me a better idea? Thanks.

If it helps, I am between BJU 6 online and Rainbow science for a science oriented student. So, if you want to chime in to compare the two, that would be great as well. Thanks!

Paula

We are using BJU Science 6 this year via online streaming. We have only been using it since February 1st.

Yes, the teacher does review previous material. Each class is approximately 45 minutes long, but this includes silent reading from the textbook during class time. Mrs. Vick does the experiments during class time. It's up to you if you want to do them at home, as well. We purchased a kit from Home Science Tools, to complete the experiments at home because I think the concepts will be significantly reinforced that way.

On a day while my son is learning about volcanoes, the class might begin with lecture from Mrs. Vick, then some silent reading, more lecture and video clips of the different types of eruptions, and then an assignment in the Activity Manual to be completed before the next class.

The tests for the online version of the class are online and automatically graded and recorded. I'm not sure if that is also true with the DVD or hard drive version.

BJU does have a 30 day guarantee (I think!).

I'll probably get harassed for this, but I love that it is Christian-based. Mrs. Vick is not afraid to say that she doesn't have all the answers, when scientific data seems to contradict the Bible. She encourages the student to think, observe, and come up with possible ideas and solutions to questions.

We have not used Rainbow, but we are completely in love with BJU, and I'm planning to start all my boys in BJU when they hit 6th grade level. My only complaint is that while my son is watching his lesson, everyone else hovers around him to watch as well.