Menu

Best curriculum for 9 year old self learner?

momsuz123

My 9 year old is basically describing her best hs day of being one where I just give her the work for the day, and she goes off and does it herself. She is an accelerated kiddo, and loves to read ( I posted this on the accelerated board too). What curriculum would you do for this type of kiddo? How would you do this? Have you done this? She would probably do great with project based homeschooling too. Thanks.

Not sure of your religious beliefs, but if you are Christian, I simply adore HOD for it's ease of use, book choices, projects, etc. An accelerated 9yo could easily jump right into the Creation to Christ guide and use it independently. :) But it is unabashedly Christian. This is a selling point for us, but I don't know if it would be for you.

Dd has worked well on her own for quite a few years. For us it works best if I give her two or three curriculum choices and she picks. We do discuss the options in great detail. She feels a bit of ownership in her courses. She finds MP guides quite easy to follow but has done well with a huge assortment of curriculum. I do check in frequently regarding her progress and occasionally help her figure out priorities.

Just wanted to add she still does a few course with ds because we enjoy it. But as time moves on more on her own...also she is more efficient then ds so frequently she does individual courses that supplement their group work.

My 9 year old is basically describing her best hs day of being one where I just give her the work for the day, and she goes off and does it herself. She is an accelerated kiddo, and loves to read ( I posted this on the accelerated board too). What curriculum would you do for this type of kiddo? How would you do this? Have you done this? She would probably do great with project based homeschooling too. Thanks.

I would suggest looking at Moving Beyond the Page 9-11 and Math U See

Moving Beyond the Page is written to the student starting in the 9-11 curriculum and Math U See is well just amazing from what I understand. We use Math In Focus and dd can basically get through most lessons on her own however I sit there with her to ensure she understands and make sure she does not make any mistakes.

For a self-directed advanced learner I would definitely do Beast Academy for math. If you are doing Spanish, Visual Link has been working great for my two. I am not thrilled about putting them in front of the computer to learn, but it has turned Spanish into a completely self-directed subject for them and they're learning A LOT....

My kids not very independent yet, but I was very much like that when I was younger. I loved all kinds of puzzle and logic books, tangram puzzles, etc. Will post back if I think of anything else...