Menu

Bible for sensitive, impatient kids on spectrum.

Emagine

I have just about everything the way we like it and thus far it is working. We have stopped attending church due to no place of comfort, especially for my 10 yr old. We had a church but the kids teacher quit and now they are like the others and expect my son to sit seen and not heard. He is Autistic, among other needs and has a Service Dog. Quiet is not us.

I want something light to teach the bible at home. Maybe 1-2 times a week but gentle for an understanding and sensitive child. I would love ideas.

Thank you

The Jesus Storybook Bible would be great to read through with him.

My child is also very sensitive with the stories of the Bible. After the Fall story, he actually sat me down and said we needed to talk.

"The next time you pray to Satan, could you ask him not to tempt Eve?" :blink:

We talked about how we don't pray to Satan, but I did switch to the above-mentioned book after that!

My dd has ASD and she loves Ella Lindvall's Read Aloud Bible Stories. They might be too young for what you're looking for but I thought I'd mention it all the same. The stories are short with simple prose and the illustrations are lovely. There are four volumes with five stories in each book. We've tried other children's bibles but we haven't found any she doesnt find "scary." These are the only stories she actually likes.

HTH!

I chose A Joyful Path for my sensitive little man. It says ages 6 - 10, but I think it can easily be beefed up or scaled back. And Year 2 should be out soon, which is for older kids. I love it because it manages to get the message through without all the specifics that tend to send our sensitive spectrum kiddos into anxiety! I also love that it incorporates other beliefs and faiths into the lessons. I think they have samples on their website.

http://progressivechristianity.org/childrens-curriculum/

It depends on his reading level. My kids have the beginners bible and my six year old can read it but he is a couple of years ahead in reading. It has short stories that he may be able to sit still and read with you. I quite like the storied myself.