Menu

RightStart Math Geometry/MM 6 - Thoughts?

My DD - just turned 11 and is going into 6th. She is a VSL and LOVES to draw. She is obsessed with shapes, patterns and puzzles. We are deciding on what math for next year and she is begging to do geometry. When I found this I thought maybe it is an option? However, she has never done RS before. I know they say on their site that level G is done differently and that they do not need prior RS experience. Her previous math has included Abeka K-3 (private school), TT5 in 4th (she didn't like it), and this year we are finishing MM5 (likes it, but somewhat bored) and working our way through all of the Key To Series (loves) workbooks. Can anyone give any input that has done this program? Or, would it be best to stick with MM6? Thanks!

My dd is using it this year alongside CLE math. I wanted her to do it because I thought she would love it. She loves geometry, is very good at it and really enjoyed using the drawing board in RS C, so I thought it would be a perfect fit. She is somewhere around lesson 35 and I'm tempted to ditch it because she is not enjoying it and I'm not sure she's getting much out of it.

If you do decide to use it, it is not meant to be a stand-alone program, so I would continue with MM as well. I believe it is meant to be used over a couple of years, so we've just been doing 2 lessons a week and then doing CLE 3 days a week.

My dd11 is also doing RSG. We've done RS all the way through. We're also doing VT and TT7. We're up to about lesson 85.We only get through 1-2 lesson per week. I think it's a good program and I'm glad we're working (slogging?) through it, but I think dd isn't enjoying it much, fwiw.