Menu

Anyone have an opinion on James Madison U?

Blueridge

Dd has been accepted and is a finalist for their nice transfer scholarship, but she honestly doesn't know much, if anything, about the school besides its location. I would appreciate your thoughts. The choosing process seems more difficult than the applying!

i actually also knew one person who went there after not getting in to UVA - he seemed content there, but it did seem like a lower tier. its a small town, tho, which is an advantage for some of us! (tho really, charlottesville has a small town feel, too).

JMU has a good reputation in the state. No it isn't the flagship but it consistently ranks as a best value school with news and world report rankings.

The food ranks top 5 as well and I can attest to that as a 1994 alum. I was a business student and feel I received a great education. I'm sure the school has changed a lot since I was there but I would send my daughter there in a heartbeat. But as many have said everybody's experience will be drasticly different but there is something for every one at JMU.

We've visited the campus several times with my oldest dd -- and my SIL graduated from JMU!

Very friendly campus...tons of activities....very high retention rate (one of the highest in the state of Virginia) so most students who go there stay (vs transferring out)...lots of students (I think there are around 17,000 on campus)....sports is big there (football and basketball especially -- JMU made the NCAA tournament this year!)...great on-campus food!

And yes, there are those who refer to JMU as Just Missed Uva, but overall it seemed like a very nice school. (My oldest dd applied there as a senior and was waitlisted..earned her AA degee at the community college and was accepted after that as a transfer student, but decided not to go there -- it was a little too big for her tastes. They offered her a very generous financial aid package. She's now at Mary Washington and commuting from home -- couldn't be happier!)

I would highly recommend taking a campus tour, if at all possible.