Menu

Family Oriented City Festival

SquirrellyMama

I've been asked to be on the planning committee for our city's annual end of summer festival. We don't usually attend much of it because it isn't all that fun. You get the usual parade, beer tent, stage to showcase local talent, mud volleyball, 5K, inflatables, etc... We went one year when the inflatables were $5 for the weekend but last year they were $10. Might not be a bad price but it seemed steep. I think things turn out like most do with parents and kIds separating and doing their own thing. I like our little town but I'm not comfortable with them separating from us during this time.

So, what I'm looking for are suggestions of new activities. We live in a town of 3,000. Obviously, not everyone attends but we do get people coming into town for the weekend.

I was thinking about having a farmers market on Main St. but that is about all I can think of right now. All my other ideas seem rather antiquated I think or hokey.

I've Googled the topic but I'm mainly getting art festivals and church festivals.

Thanks,

Kelly

There are already concerts and a craft fair. I'm not a big craft fair person. It is always knick knacky stuff that I don't buy. I might prefer a flea market. I guess what I see is money going out everywhere. Food vendors, beer tent, concerts, crafts fair, etc... And there are festivals in every small community around here all summer long. I would like to see this be different.

Kelly

Petting zoo? (often put on by 4-H clubs)

Knowledge Bowl competition - something along the lines of Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader? - or Stump the Kids...

Poster competition - either art work or informational, which would give kids a chance to share science projects, etc. Or do both in separate tents.

Artisans actually doing their crafts - pottery and glass blowing, but also leather working, stained glass/mosaic, metalworking

Farrier display

That is a good idea. I was thinking about having a kids' art area and maybe they can all help paint a mural to hang up at the community center.

Kelly

That is a good idea. I was thinking about having a kids' art area and maybe they can all help paint a mural to hang up at the community center.

Kelly

The area I grew up in used to do mosaic murals at the yearly festival. A local artist would come out and outline the area to be covered. There would be volunteers working the project to provide direction, but the work was done by the attendees.