Menu

Taking notes during dictation?

As we have started to do more and longer dictations, my second grader has started to jot down notes -- letters to remind him of words, mostly -- while I am reading the dictation out loud. He then uses these scribbles to construct his dictation. Should I discourage this? On the one hand, it seems not entirely in the spirit of the whole dictation enterprise. OTOH, he is so pleased with himself for figuring out this strategy, and it certainly works quite well.

Advice?

Well, the philosophy is that dictation helps the student to hold an entire sentence in his head long enough to put it down on paper, along with correct grammar and mechanics. It would not bother me if he were jotting down key words. But if he were making notes about the grammar and mechanics, I wouldn't want that. You want him to be able to envision the sentence in his mind and how the different parts relate to each other. I don't know if I am articulating this well enough.

Well, the philosophy is that dictation helps the student to hold an entire sentence in his head long enough to put it down on paper, along with correct grammar and mechanics.

This is what is bothering me about the note-taking as well.