Menu

Next round of Disney questions....

) We arrive in Orlando at 3:40pm, if I have read here correctly, I should get to All-Star Music Resort around 5? Do I plan on spending the evening there with a 5yr old and 2 yr old and my hubby or should we venture out - maybe to Rainforest Cafe in Animal K, since park admission isn't required there?

2) I am breaking up one day into 1/2 Animal Kingdom and 1/2 Hollywood Studios. I wasn't even planning on Hollywood Studios, but that is where Lightning McQueen and Little Einsteins are and we have a MAJOR CARS fan here. What do I do first, AK or HS? If we do HS first, we can have breakfast w/ Little Einsteins...but will AK be better in the morning? :tongue_smilie:

3) Is the SciFi Drive in at Hollywood scary? Are the movies frightning to some easily-scared children? If so, where is a fun place for a quick dinner there?

4) Do I buy Mouse Ears before we go and give them to the kiddos once we get there or can I get them at the resort or what? We are celebrating both of thier birthdays and want to make it really special.

I have been on the DisBoards the better part of the day, and I have a somewhat working plan happening!!!! WOOHOO!!!:hurray:

I would go to Downtown Disney. It's free as well, and has lots of shops to peruse. They have tons of stuff that can be bought in the parks, and you can get a good feel for things.

That's what I would do, anyway. Animal Kingdom closes pretty early from what I remember, and DD is open until 9.

~Lisa

I wouldn't plan too much for that first night as you don't know for sure when you'll get to your hotel. I ditto Lisa's idea of Downtown Disney or you could just enjoy the kid-friendly hotel pool. They have lots of poolside evening activities and games for kids and at dark they set up a huge movie screen where everyone pulls up lounge chairs and watches a movie in their pj's or bathing suit. We just ate at Sci-Fi in May and it wasn't a scary movie, but I couldn't even tell you what it was. We were so busy chatting with fellow guests in the convertible that we didn't pay much attention to it. Animal Kingdom usually closes earlier than the other parks. It was 7pm when we were there in May. The animals are usually quiet or resting in the hot part of the day, so morning might be best. If you're doing the dining plan, RainForest is not included in it.

) We arrive in Orlando at 3:40pm, if I have read here correctly, I should get to All-Star Music Resort around 5? Do I plan on spending the evening there with a 5yr old and 2 yr old and my hubby or should we venture out - maybe to Rainforest Cafe in Animal K, since park admission isn't required there?

2) I am breaking up one day into 1/2 Animal Kingdom and 1/2 Hollywood Studios. I wasn't even planning on Hollywood Studios, but that is where Lightning McQueen and Little Einsteins are and we have a MAJOR CARS fan here. What do I do first, AK or HS? If we do HS first, we can have breakfast w/ Little Einsteins...but will AK be better in the morning? :tongue_smilie:

You need to keep in mind travel time on the buses/ waiting for buses: 1/2 to 1 hour. AK has alot of walking and can be very hot. We would have a charcter breakfast at a park since you can get in before the park opens. We would spend the morning there. Have lunch or a light snack. Then, we would go back to the hotel to take nap and have a short dip in the pool until dinner.

After our rest, we would go back to a park for dinner and more fun.

3) Is the SciFi Drive in at Hollywood scary? Are the movies frightning to some easily-scared children? If so, where is a fun place for a quick dinner there?

Short clips of your typical 50s grade B movies. My girls didn't even notice the movie clips that much. They were in love with the car and wanted to take it home.

The 3-D show in the tree at AK scared them even though they loved A Bugs Life.

4) Do I buy Mouse Ears before we go and give them to the kiddos once we get there or can I get them at the resort or what? We are celebrating both of thier birthdays and want to make it really special.

I would get them there.

I have been on the DisBoards the better part of the day, and I have a somewhat working plan happening!!!! WOOHOO!!!:hurray:

This is just what we did. You can use it or not. My dd10 has been going since she was 6 weeks old. They do get tired at Disney. There is a lot to do and see.

I would go to Downtown Disney. It's free as well, and has lots of shops to peruse. They have tons of stuff that can be bought in the parks, and you can get a good feel for things.

That's what I would do, anyway. Animal Kingdom closes pretty early from what I remember, and DD is open until 9.

~Lisa

I love this idea. It is great advice.

The best time at the parks are between open and noon. Thunderstorms happen often in the afternoon around 2-3. Get to the park gate around 30 min to 1 hr before you can get in. At MK dash to Dumbo on open and ride until the line gets too long (maybe 2 rides). BTW, if you do not already have PS at the restaurants you need to get them or expect to eat after 1 hr waits at the sit-down restaurants.

I would not try to do any running around before heading to the parks on the first morning. Explore the hotel, hotel pool, and food court. If you have a car have dh can go to the store for provisions to defer the costs of water, easy lunches and breakfasts, and snacks.

Everything is better in the morning (before the day gets hot). We did not have much luck with the character breakfasts. The key was to get to the rides the the slowest/longest lines fast/early, and then slowly pick off the other things we wanted to see slowly. Also get fast passes on the hard rides as soon as you can, and use them when other things are too crowded. (You have to wait until the start time, but Cast Member policy is to allow them to be used for the rest of the day after the start time.)

Mouse ears are better gotten in the park, in the front of MK one of the stores will sew your children's names on the hat.

Don't forget to get the birthday buttons from City Hall at MK or Guest Services at the other parks. You children will have everyone wishing the a happy birthday.

Have a great time!:001_smile:

tell EVERYONE its their birthdays!! Especially at restaurants!

and have a great time!

-rebecca-

Definately just going to chill at the hotel the first night.

Definately buying Ears there.

Still pondering: Animal kingdom - hotel to rest - Hollywood studios or hollywood studios - hotel to rest - animal kingdom

what seems to be a better plan?

Still researching: SciFi Cafe. Any other cool places to eat at Hollywood Studios if we do not do the Little Einsteins breakfast?

TIA!:D

I would plan on Animal Kingdom for the morning. Check at the hotel, sometimes they open the parks early for hotel guests. It's worth getting up super early if they do this. The animals are so much more active early in the morning before it gets really hot. Do the safari first.

Then rest at the hotel.

Then Hollywood studios - there's a lot of inside stuff for when the thunderstorms come in the afternoon.

Another thing, if your kids (like mine when they were little) are afraid of fireworks, you can the fireworks from Downtown Disney - if you time it right you can take the ferry and be out on the lake when they are setting them off.

Still pondering: Animal kingdom - hotel to rest - Hollywood studios or hollywood studios - hotel to rest - animal kingdom

Still researching: SciFi Cafe. Any other cool places to eat at Hollywood Studios if we do not do the Little Einsteins breakfast?

Animal kingdom in the morning - why? Because the animals are out in the morning. THis should be your earliest morning - if they are doing magic mornings for it, drag your behind UP. The earlier you get on that Safari Ride, the more you see.

The Hollywood and Vine Buffet is one of our favorites. We even went there for Thanksgiving 2 years ago! But it's the one Character meal we go back too - can you do a late lunch maybe? SInce i'm making you go to AK in the morning :D

http://allears.net/menu/menu_hvb.htm

Definately just going to chill at the hotel the first night.

Definately buying Ears there.

If the kids are antsy to do something you could go for a monorail ride. Bus to MK at around 7:30, resort monorail to Polynesian, walk down to the beach and watch the Electrical Water Pageant (9 PM.) This is also a great place to watch the MK fireworks if your children are afraid of them.

At The Chapeau on Main Street in MK you can build your own ears.

From WDW News:

• Guests start by choosing one of 19 bases in colors and materials such as purple satin, pink fur, blue velvet or green glow-in-the-dark.

• Next, guests choose two snap-on ears from an assortment such as metallic, rhinestone and holographic -- either two ears of the same variety or two different options for a really distinctive look.

• If they wish, guests can adorn their hat using peel-and-stick patches representing favorite Disney characters, Disney princesses and Disney Channel shows. Custom embroidery and stick-on letters are also available.

Here's a link with pictures. It's from Disneyland, but same thing. Scroll down a little.

I agree with whoever said AK first, rest, then DHS.

1. DHS is open later

2. AK is hot, hot, hot (was watching Buster Poindexter on I love the 80's)

3. The rain thing

4. You might want to watch the Pixar Block Party Bash at DHS at 3:00 PM

We love the Sci-Fi Dine in, have gone every time since my oldest was 8. It's very campy, not scary. Great shakes. The kids might also enjoy Pizza Planet, but the food isn't that good. It's counter service not table service like Sci-Fi and Hollywood and Vine.

About Birthdays - If you go to Guest Relations when you first enter the park and tell them its your girls' birthdays - they should give you them a special button to wear and maybe a hat (?). At leat this is what they were doing about a year and a half ago.

That could help to make the day special!

I also agree to do Animal Kingdom in the am. But see if you can find out the show times for Hollywood Studios so that you don't miss the attractions you want to see.

Have Fun!

Ooh - another good place to watch MK fireworks if your littles are afraid of the noise, is the landing for the Ferry Boat at the transportation Center. Beautiful view.