Menu

Starting TOG in Year 2?

k3bzr18

Okay TOG people,

I really want to start TOG and had posted about trying to line it up with CC but the more I look at it, it would be hard and I will use TOG and supplement with CC sooooooo, I had leaned on starting with Yr2 because of CC but now am wondering should I just start with Yr1 since it wont line up anyways and be sequential? Oh, and I love the book list with Yr 1-the bible history for me is amazing.

help! :confused1:

Thank you!

Lynn

If you're not concerned about matching up with CC, I think year 1 is a great place to start mostly because the pace is a little less hectic and year 1 has a lot of Bible reading in it which is familiar. Year 2 covers a large span of history that has a lot of great books and I hate to see anyone get overwhelmed thinking they should do everything. It's hard to choose to let go of some of TOG because it all looks interesting! That being said, you can really start anywhere. We started with year 3 and are now doing year 1. Children are a lot more flexible in their learning than we are as adults.

Beth

If you're not concerned about matching up with CC, I think year 1 is a great place to start mostly because the pace is a little less hectic and year 1 has a lot of Bible reading in it which is familiar. Year 2 covers a large span of history that has a lot of great books and I hate to see anyone get overwhelmed thinking they should do everything. It's hard to choose to let go of some of TOG because it all looks interesting! That being said, you can really start anywhere. We started with year 3 and are now doing year 1. Children are a lot more flexible in their learning than we are as adults.

Beth

I would agree with this assessment of the pace of Year one and two. We are almost done with Year One and I've finished completely planning out next year. This year had some very relaxed weeks. Next year is going to be very full.

Just keep in mind that if you start with Y2, it is the heaviest year as far as material goes, especially in the higher levels (I don't think this applies to you but for other readers). We did Y2U1-U3 our first year with TOG, then Y2U4-Y3U3 and then Y3U4-Y4 this year, condensing some of Y4U3-U4. We use the CC timeline, history, and geography memory work without a group, the kids are listening to the songs right now with lunch. :)