Menu

Rightstart A

amyinva

Has anyone seen the new edition? A friend is letting me use the old one, and I have RSB, so I have all the manipulatives. Is there a good reason for me to buy the new books instead of using the old, free one? It would have to be a really good reason. ;)

Rightstart is realigning to meet Common Core standards. I don't know what the changes are. So far only A has been done the rest will be changing soon. However, I have heard that they will keep publishing the old version also. So if you have started with the old you will still be able to purchase older versions of the next level.

I have heard that you will not be able to mix the old and new versions as the scope and sequence will be that different. If I had a free level the only way I'd buy a new A was if I REALLY wanted to align with the common core or if I was planning on sending dc to ps during the elementary years.

ETA: It looks like there is also layout changes, etc. And that you could "switch" from old A to "new" B but not back and forth in higher levels. Here's the link with FAQ's: http://rightstartmath.com/home-school/second-edition-news

So if you have started with the old you will still be able to purchase older versions of the next level.

This is correct. I was at the Greenville convention last Friday and the lady at the RS booth said that since they print in-house they will always have the "old" versions available.

I used A and B with two children so far and loved it. Even if the layout is improved in the new version, I'm sticking with what I have because it "isnt' broke so I'm not going to fix it." Plus it is cheaper to stick with what I own. I will be curious to take a look at it when our convention rolls around though!

I don't have a free version available, but I am trying to decide whether to buy the first or second edition of Level A. For what it's worth, I would definitely use the first edition if I could get it free. The second edition is significantly more expensive at $255 for the whole set (books plus manipulatives) versus $110 for the first edition. The difference is that you get all the manipulatives for all levels with the second edition bundle, so it's less expensive in subsequent years. The problem for me, though, is that I'm not certain I'll use all the levels. I have also read that the second edition has 132 lessons, while the first edition has 77. I don't know if they're just broken up differently, or whether more information is taught. Ugh!! What should I do?