Menu

Question for anyone who has done shurley english? Please

bnwhitaker

Im going to be doing level 1, 3, 5, 7. I have 2 questions though.

1. If I begin level 3 in third grade would I just move on the next year ex. begin level 5 in forth grade and level 7 in 5th grade?

2. Depending on which route to take what have some of you done on the inbetween time or after level 7 if done by 5th grade?

Hope that makes sense what Im trying to ask.

well I will take a little shot...I have 1-3. I was going to skip 2 and go straight into 3 with my ds but he wasn't ready for the workload, mostly dictionary and vocab work so I went ahead and got level 2 and plan on using 3 next year for his third grade year. I don't have any experience with above 3 but I have heard you can skip levels, but I was under the impression that they just didn't use it the next year...hopefully someone can chime in that knows more ;)

We did 2, 4, 6. Skipping was not a problem workwise. Afterwords we have been quite foreign language intensive. Dd does latin plus a few more. Just bought WWS for ds because he lacks organizational skills.

Im going to be doing level 1, 3, 5, 7. I have 2 questions though.

1. If I begin level 3 in third grade would I just move on the next year ex. begin level 5 in forth grade and level 7 in 5th grade?

2. Depending on which route to take what have some of you done on the inbetween time or after level 7 if done by 5th grade?

Hope that makes sense what Im trying to ask.

I'm not an expert (I used Shurley 4 many years ago)...but when I was researching this last year I was in a discussion where people said they skipped levels...but they used something else the year they skipped Shurley. So, they alternated between Shurley and something like MCT or whatever. Also, I've read that some people take 2 years to go through Shurley level 7.

So it looks like either way might work? Humm what to do :) I will look into both more.

Welllllll....if you mean by "either way" being alternating or doing those 3 levels 3 years in a row....then I don't know that I'd say either way might work. I don't think I'd recommend doing Shurley 3 in 3rd, Shurley 5 in 4th, and then Shurley 7 in 5th. I think that's too much. I'd do Shurley levels 3, 5, and 7 in those same grade years (3rd, 5th, and 7th/8th) and something in between to break it up. Or, if you didn't want to use another program to alternate, I'd just do Shurley 4 & 6 too. But hey, that's just me.

I did mean it that way because the lady above you also said they did 2, 4, 6, and it was not a problem for them and then they jumped in to

other languages. But I spose I dont know for sure if she meant she did it in a row or not just seemed like that was the way she wrote it.

Im thankful for your input though and will be aware that the workload may be too much if we did them in a row. Im glad to hear your

opinion, thanks.

I did 3 in third and then we went straight to 5 in fourth. It wasn't too much work for us. We are focusing more on Latin this year in fifth so we are reviewing with KISS. I haven't decided if we will do Shurley 7 next year for sixth or if we will continue with KISS. I like the way Shurley teaches the concepts but when I presented dd with real-life sentences, the concepts weren't sticking. KiSS really helps cement the concepts. I might do them concurrently to make sure stuff is sticking.

We spread them out over a longer period of time. Probably 15 months or so each. I tend to have several things going at once like SL etc. We dis start a new one when finished just didn't do daily all year. Took breaks.

You can run them fairly easily together. The same week in different levels correspond reasonably well. Both dc's could do the chants together and then seat work.