Menu

Asking for a friend. Any opinions on Timberdoodle?

amselby81

A friend asked me about this curriculum, and I've never heard of it. I told her that I'd ask for opinions on here, since there's a wealth of knowledge here. :) Her children are in PS and have never been homeschooled. She's thinking about keeping them home next year and she'll have a 2nd grader, 4th grader, and a 6th grader. I think she's looking at using the entire package for each grade. If you have any experiences with Timberdoodle, what input could you give? Did you like it or not? What are some of the curriculum's strengths and weaknesses?

Thanks a bunch!

Timberdoodle doesn't produce any of its own curriculum. They package other curriculum into grade appropriate bundles. For example a 4th grade bundle will include a Teaching Textbooks 4 for math, a Queen's Homeschool Language book, and several Evan-Moor language arts books for language arts, a sequential spelling DVD, an Apologia science text for science, and a set of SOTW for history along with some other bells and whistles like a globe and pencils depending on which "package" she chooses. Clearly each of these individual components has pros & cons. She wouldn't need two separate years of SOTW and would probably benefit from having her 2nd & 4th grader do the same year of SOTW, I don't believe that there is an overarching guide on how to implement the individual components either. I have ordered plenty from Timberdoodle over the years, particularly during their annual scratch & dent sale. Their customer service has always been great.

HTH,

Amber in SJ

Love them! Their prices aren't really much of a discount, but I often go there just to see what is included in their curriculum bundles or even just what they sell.I would love to use their bundles, but I already have over half the stuff anyway.

Their schedules are available online for each grade, and they look definately do-able.

They also can customize the grade level for you, for instance, if you don't need an item or two, or want to switch or add something.

I follow them on Facebook, and they are just coming out with a new catalog and each grade has 3 options (from what I can tell): the basics, the normal (what they used to have as their grade level bundle) and extras adding a few more fun things in. Can't wait to see what is included in each.

If I had taken a look at their website, I guess I would have figured that out. But she asked me, and I just quickly glanced and then hopped on here to ask. :) Now I'm checking out their bundles for myself b/c SOTW and Apologia are things I wanted to use for next year.

The full curriculum didnt work for me. I felt that the Evan Moore writing was not my style or standard. I thought the Critucal and Creative book was completely busy work. I felt that some of the extras were expensive, and the Queen's Language Lessons was just not really worth the time spent on it because it didbt include enough teaching, or practice, or review, and often not enough lines in which to do the work. I also felt that getting the activity guide for SOTW is unnecessary...

I don't know. It just didnt jive for us.