Menu

My fathers world and Sonlight

Smiles

If you would combine them how would you do it? I asked a question about these two a while ago I'm sorry but I keep looking at the two and I can't decide. I like things about both and I thought I would get the books for core A in SL and read them as we go but I like the timeline and all that with SL and I want to do MFW 1st grade as written but I don't know. My ds is 5 will be 6 in July we have done MFW K and he likes it but we have books from SL p 4/5 and p 3/4 and he really loves those seems to be his fav, then again he likes activites and SL doesn't seem to provide that. Also with MFW K it has got easy for him and he tells me he already knows how to do this! I don't know! I'm sorry for another post about MFW and SL, but I will take any input. One other thing I wanted to ask is if I just got the instructors guide and student sheets with the bible reader with MFW would that be enough for the program or do I need all the other things, sorry if thats a dumb question just trying to think of how to combine and not spend a ton of money. Thanks for reading.

For MFW 1st you would need at a minimum to have the IG, the Student sheets, the student workbook and the Bible Notebook. They all go together for phonics, writing, and LA. Is your boy reading much beyond CVC words? If not, it's a great 1st grade program for learning to read. If he already reads well, and you want to do SL at the same time, MFW might not be worth it (it wouldn't be for me in that situation, but it's been perfect for the two of mine who weren't reading well going into 1st grade). MFW 1st along with SL read alouds would probably work great. If you were going to do more than just read the books from SL though, it might be too much.

He is reading some of the Bob books. He is getting better with time but he still is not reading great still does a lot of sounding out, although I am amazed at how quickly he picks up on reading and I am so blessed to be able to be the one to teach him! Thank you I don't know what I am going to do yet.

When I first used MFW, my oldest was in 2nd grade. I had thought I was going to use SL, but at the convention, I took one look at SL in person and knew.. I needed something else. 5 minutes later I saw MFW for the first time and knew that was what my brain and heart wanted. However, for the first 6 months of using MFW, I couldn't let go of the idea of using SL in some fashion. So, I still had the SL catalog and I was determined to use some of the SL books for just "fun reading" and 'read aloud". I tried that for a little bit. and then realized a couple of things..... there were good books in common to both programs; and we enjoyed them best when MFW recommended them (due to age readiness versus reading readiness).

You could use SL for reading suggestions if the suggestions in MFW program aren't available, or enough. or scheduled the right way. Eventually by end of my first year of using MFW, I stopped looking at SL catalog as I realized MFW had plenty of reading and I liked how they did it. I'll never know if SL would have worked in our family. but I know MFW did... 10 years later.. still using it... sound like a wacko on the internet.. who uses the same program this long? LOL

All of my kids were always ahead in reading from what we used (oldest didn't use mfw, other 2 did). I liked that it gave me the ability to breath and work more on handwriting and spelling and copywork with the younger two. I didn't know enough about those things with oldest and pushed her ahead thinking out of balance was good. hmm.. learn live and share your mistakes with others.. anyway.

all of that to say... even if you find that the phonics instructions is a little bit of review in terms of learning to read... it's ok.. that is when phonics becomes "spelling". So, you get to have a stronger speller if you use a phonics program (like mfw's) as a spelling time. You get to practice penmanship in shorter lessons geared for the age.

I can't remember all of your threads.. if you need ideas to tweak the remainder of the MFW Kindy year in phonics to do that..here is an older post of mine (cbollin) on what I did for each day/step in Kindy to accomplish that.

http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7179#p47744

and if you haven't seen the revised edition of mfw's first grade... it's looking very nice and organized and overall looks better than what I used. (one exception.. I wasn't all that thrilled with the exploring art together.... I like the concept... post a picture for a week... read a little bit... talk about it.. you know... CM picture study... but I wish they could have gotten rights to reprint different art work... feels blah to me.. but the concept is good. and they still sell the Come Look With Me books under first grade enrichment)

I know when I heard success stories over the years of MFW fans who use SL in some fashion it tends to be using SL for readers package for independent reading. Or stuff like that.

When I first used MFW, my oldest was in 2nd grade. I had thought I was going to use SL, but at the convention, I took one look at SL in person and knew.. I needed something else. 5 minutes later I saw MFW for the first time and knew that was what my brain and heart wanted. However, for the first 6 months of using MFW, I couldn't let go of the idea of using SL in some fashion. So, I still had the SL catalog and I was determined to use some of the SL books for just "fun reading" and 'read aloud". I tried that for a little bit. and then realized a couple of things..... there were good books in common to both programs; and we enjoyed them best when MFW recommended them (due to age readiness versus reading readiness).

You could use SL for reading suggestions if the suggestions in MFW program aren't available, or enough. or scheduled the right way. Eventually by end of my first year of using MFW, I stopped looking at SL catalog as I realized MFW had plenty of reading and I liked how they did it. I'll never know if SL would have worked in our family. but I know MFW did... 10 years later.. still using it... sound like a wacko on the internet.. who uses the same program this long? LOL

All of my kids were always ahead in reading from what we used (oldest didn't use mfw, other 2 did). I liked that it gave me the ability to breath and work more on handwriting and spelling and copywork with the younger two. I didn't know enough about those things with oldest and pushed her ahead thinking out of balance was good. hmm.. learn live and share your mistakes with others.. anyway.

all of that to say... even if you find that the phonics instructions is a little bit of review in terms of learning to read... it's ok.. that is when phonics becomes "spelling". So, you get to have a stronger speller if you use a phonics program (like mfw's) as a spelling time. You get to practice penmanship in shorter lessons geared for the age.

I can't remember all of your threads.. if you need ideas to tweak the remainder of the MFW Kindy year in phonics to do that..here is an older post of mine (cbollin) on what I did for each day/step in Kindy to accomplish that.

http://board.mfwbook...0&t=7179#p47744

and if you haven't seen the revised edition of mfw's first grade... it's looking very nice and organized and overall looks better than what I used. (one exception.. I wasn't all that thrilled with the exploring art together.... I like the concept... post a picture for a week... read a little bit... talk about it.. you know... CM picture study... but I wish they could have gotten rights to reprint different art work... feels blah to me.. but the concept is good. and they still sell the Come Look With Me books under first grade enrichment)

I know when I heard success stories over the years of MFW fans who use SL in some fashion it tends to be using SL for readers package for independent reading. Or stuff like that.

Could you tell me what you didn't like about SL. Also I worry about the library we will be moving soon and I don't know what kind of library system will be there. I would like to be the wacko that uses the same program for that many years! Lol I really want to pick one and stick with it.

We have used SL for many years now and just add activities. We have done History Pockets, some kits from Hands n Hearts and Homeschool in the woods. The internet has tons of activities for most anything so it's easy to find something and do it. You don't need to get 2 programs. Just add to SL what you want. My kids go through spurts on the activity thing so I found some activities and some field trips tend to balance it all out.

We use MFW1st right now with books from TOG (older ones are doing TOG) and some SL books. I think it can totally be done. MFW is our CORE and TOG/SL is our add in.

For a disclaimer, I LOVE curriculum and own many different ones. My dd3 uses HOD. :p

I have problems! :lol:

We have used SL for many years now and just add activities. We have done History Pockets, some kits from Hands n Hearts and Homeschool in the woods. The internet has tons of activities for most anything so it's easy to find something and do it. You don't need to get 2 programs. Just add to SL what you want. My kids go through spurts on the activity thing so I found some activities and some field trips tend to balance it all out.

I thought about this but I worry about finding time to do this, time seems to be very vauable with a 5, 3, and 1 year old! But this is a big possibility because a perk with SL that I like is having everything.

We use MFW1st right now with books from TOG (older ones are doing TOG) and some SL books. I think it can totally be done. MFW is our CORE and TOG/SL is our add in.

For a disclaimer, I LOVE curriculum and own many different ones. My dd3 uses HOD. :p

I have problems! :lol:

How do you do this? Do you use the book basket books from MFW too? I like getting curriculum too, I love getting a box of books in the mail!

I do NOT use MFW book basket ideas. I use what I have here. We do history readings and literaturee readings from TOG. Our book basket is then filled with books from my house (I hate going to the library as I always loose a book or return late :p )

My ds8 really needed extra help with reading, so he is using MFW 1st for Bible and Reading. We use HOD beyond for science, spelling, storytime, art, poetry,math with SM and MUS etc Full right side and a couple boxes on left. We skip history and tie it into out tog readings instead which has been super easy! Sounds like a pain in the butt, but its working!

For my older, I actually have a chart of SL books that are matched to our TOG weeks. I use them as a book basket for older kids and sometimes read alouds for little ones.

I love SL selections, but have never had success using it as written. Not sure why. I like looking back at the IG. Something just doesn't stick for me. I have been gifted some CORES and still use them....even notes from the IG, just not as written for a year. Some of my IG's are OLD! Like late 90's and early 2000's :)

I love SL selections, but have never had success using it as written. Not sure why. I like looking back at the IG. Something just doesn't stick for me. I have been gifted some CORES and still use them....even notes from the IG, just not as written for a year. Some of my IG's are OLD! Like late 90's and early 2000's :)

So what all did you purchase from MFW 1st did you get the whole package and use what you needed or could I just get the student materials and IG and be good I'm not sure about science. But then again I might just pick one and go from there. Thank you for taking the time to respond.