Menu

Different kid with vision problems, help

What is it with my kids and vision problems??

As some of you might recall, my middle dd, Emma, has convergence insufficiency (along with verbal expression delays, probable APD, and a math LD). She's been to eight out of 21 vision therapy sessions. She had her progress exam today and is doing so well! I'm very happy!!

My youngest dd, Cora, has been complaining of the words moving on the page when she reads. She also complains of a headache often. Her handwriting is atrocious. She's only 7, but goodness, it's bad. She hates to write. She says she "see spots." Anyway, she got an eye exam today, and she has convergence insufficiency as well as focus issues (accommodative insufficiency, I believe it's called). So guess what! She is starting VT next week. Oh, and she's slightly farsighted so she may end up in glasses once VT is done. The doc recommended a longer program for Cora than Emma is in because Cora has ADHD as well. BUT we compromised at a 21 week program since my husband is going to have a knee replacement this summer, and that's going to be keeping me super busy. At the end of the 21 week program, we'll reevaluate and go from there.

The good news is that my oldest, Anna, is fine. She has very slight central suppression, but it is not affecting her life or school work. So for now, we watch it closely. The other good news is that our insurance is helping to pay for the VT. If your child needs VT, it pays to pester the insurance and get your doctor to write a letter of medical necessity! The best news is that I LOVE our optometrist. She's a doll and is discounting Cora's VT program.

Now on to my question. Can you all explain what accommodative insufficiency is? Although Dr. Todd is very down to earth and super sweet, my head was swimming by the time we left. I really didn't get her to explain it to me. I can talk to her again next week, but in the meantime, I'd like to hear about your experience.

Thanks! Although I'm not posting much here, I'm reading and appreciate all the knowledge. It's good to know I'm not alone. :D

Nakia, I'm so bad on terms... I suggest you just google and you'll find it. The COVD website has good articles. You probably already did this in fact. Yes, you have a focusing aspect they work on, so they can improve how well (quickly, accurately, without fatiguing) the eyes focus. So you'll do things with flippers where you go back and forth, back and forth, between different lenses, forcing the brain to figure out how to focus and refocus. And they'll up the ante with time and distance and red/green glasses and...

Yeah, once you realize your gene pool is special, you end up finding it wise to check everybody. All three of us go to the COVD doc now. That way she looks at all our eyeballs and the genetics of stuff makes sense.

I'm so glad you're liking your doc and that she's working out so well for you. :)

Nakia, you asked what accommodative insufficiency is?

The lens of each eye is surrounded by the Ciliary muscle, that has ligaments that attach to outer rim of the eye lens.

When these muscles contract, it causes the lens to stretch out and flatten, and reduces the curvature of the lens.

Which enables distance vision.

As we observe something come closer, the ciliary muscles gradually relax, and the eye lens gradually becomes thicker and more curved.

Which makes closer vision clearer.

The control of the ciliary muscles from fully contracted, to fully relaxed, is called the 'accommodative amplitude'.

So that when fully relaxed, with the lens at their thickest, we may be able focus as close as 3 inches away.

So that with accommodative insufficiency, their is a difficulty with control of the ciliary muscles.

Where this can have 2 basic effects?

Firstly with transition, as we shift focus from distant to close, and close to distant.

Secondly, with maintaining focus at a certain distance, such as with reading.

A common symptom of this is blurred vision, as the eyes may repeatedly go in and out of focus?

Along with eye strain and headaches.

Though as a 'muscle problem', exercises have been shown to be effective in correcting this and developing a finer control.

Which are based around what are termed as 'push up' exercises.