Menu

Did any of your kids take the AIME today?

MBM, may I ask you to remove the information about particular questions and about difficulty? Students will be taking the test in different time zones throughout the country (and beyond). Even if the information seems innocuous, it's better to err on the side of caution, until tomorrow when it's safe to discuss. Thanks.

For those of you whose children made it to the AIME, could you please post about how they prepared? Our ds is in 9th, and he scored 105 on the AMC 10, so just below the qualifying score. I'd love to hear how we can help him get over the "hump" next year. We have the AoPS Volumes I & 2.

Thanks!

GardenMom

Definitely working through AoPS 1 & 2 is good! My son also worked problems from past exams (available at the AoPS website or in the actual booklet form from the MAA, which he prefers); took (long ago) an AMC 10 class from AoPS; looked at the AMC 10/12 "math club" books (also from MAA); did Alcumus and FTW obsessively for a few weeks; goes to math competitions like mathleague.org and Stanford Math Tournament whenever he can; etc.

Oh, and we recommend taking both the 10 and the 12 (either the 10A/12B or 12A/10B) as soon as he feels ready for the 12; until then taking both the 10A & 10B is good. It takes some work to find both sittings of the exam, but it is definitely worth it. (It used to be easier to qualify under the 12; I think they've loosened the qualifying score for the 10 in recent years, but some kids find the 12 easier than the 10, depending on how their mind works.)

He's not home right now, but I'll try to remember to ask him for more advice when he's back. And I'm sure others will chime in with good advice.

Best wishes to your son! Just below the qualifying score is frustrating, but he should have a good shot next year. My son is always excited about taking the 3-hour AIME :D

For those of you whose children made it to the AIME, could you please post about how they prepared? Our ds is in 9th, and he scored 105 on the AMC 10, so just below the qualifying score. I'd love to hear how we can help him get over the "hump" next year. We have the AoPS Volumes I & 2.

Thanks!

GardenMom

My son has taken the AoPS online classes. We do not have any math circles in our area, but that would help your son too if they are avaliable in your area

Thanks!

GardenMom

Yes to the recommendations made by Laura in Ca & snowbeltmom: try AoPS problem solving classes, work through AoPS classic volumes 1 & 2, and practice with AMC past exams (there are plenty of these online at AoPS).

One other good self-study idea for kids who are just below AIME level is the book First Steps for Math Olympians. It's set up as a textbook with each of 18 chapters concentrating on a single topic. Each chapter has a lesson, solved problems, and an AMC-like exercise set with solutions (explained in detail).

Most of the high school math tournaments (HMMT, PUMaC, Stanford math tournament, Duke) have old exams on their websites for practice. Note - these are harder than the First Steps book; I'd do that first.

I think that this year's AIME was great...I've spent most of the afternoon playing with the problems. :001_smile:

DS used AoPS books and took their courses including their AMC 10 prep course, but didn't feel the latter as helpful as regular ones. Taking AIME for the first time with other kids made him happy enough! He still has a long way to go.

One other good self-study idea for kids who are just below AIME level is the book First Steps for Math Olympians. It's set up as a textbook with each of 18 chapters concentrating on a single topic. Each chapter has a lesson, solved problems, and an AMC-like exercise set with solutions (explained in detail).

Kathy, as always, thank you for your recommendation! My purse is getting skinnier though :)

I think that this year's AIME was great...I've spent most of the afternoon playing with the problems. :001_smile:

Are the problems available somewhere. I don't see them in the AoPS Wiki. My son barely missed the cutoff for AIME this year, but he wants to see the problems and see how he can do. Our focus this year has been more toward mathcounts since scholarships are available in our state. It's cool that he's already winning four year full-tuition scholarships as an eighth grader. :closedeyes:

Are the problems available somewhere. I don't see them in the AoPS Wiki. My son barely missed the cutoff for AIME this year, but he wants to see the problems and see how he can do. Our focus this year has been more toward mathcounts since scholarships are available in our state. It's cool that he's already winning four year full-tuition scholarships as an eighth grader. :closedeyes:

They're being discussed in detail on the AoPS AMC forum today.

Yay for your son for winning a Mathcounts scholarship! How nice!

Back when my son had more time to study for math contests (those days are gone), he worked through Volumes 1 and 2 and did some of the old AMC and AIME tests for practice. Nowadays he just uses whatever he's studying in school and his outside activities to help him out.

Anyway, another way to qualify for the AIME is through the USAMTS, a three-part, do-at-home contest. That is my son's favorite contest. If your child decides to participate, it is best to take the AMCs as well. USAMTS problems are tough, so don't let your children get discouraged if they find them difficult.

Good luck to your kids if they sit for the USAMO test!