Menu

California homeschoolers-Anyone do this?

Juliegmom

Hi Ellie! This is our first year homeschooling. This year I filed an addidavit for my younger while my two high schoolers were covered through their online charter school. My 9th grader is tired of being tied to the computer for everything and has asked to be homeschooled next year. I don't feel brave enough to take on transcripts and such on my own so I will definitely be enrolling in a psp for support and guidance. It's not much more work to have my younger tag along, but I will have to meet their deadlines instead of my own. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'm on the fence. I'm pretty disciplined, but a little more structure may be good. More structure or freedom...hmmm?

I haven't personally done this, but I do know a fair number of homeschoolers in my area that have one child signed up with a charter or umbrella school and not their other dc. Usually it happens when one of their dc hot high school and they want assistance/accountability. So yeah, it works.

Hi Ellie! This is our first year homeschooling. This year I filed an addidavit for my younger while my two high schoolers were covered through their online charter school. My 9th grader is tired of being tied to the computer for everything and has asked to be homeschooled next year. I don't feel brave enough to take on transcripts and such on my own so I will definitely be enrolling in a psp for support and guidance. It's not much more work to have my younger tag along, but I will have to meet their deadlines instead of my own. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'm on the fence. I'm pretty disciplined, but a little more structure may be good. More structure or freedom...hmmm?

Ok, so, I'm still confused, which is really my problem not yours, lol.

so you filed an affidavit for the 2012-13 school year. Your youngest child is enrolled in that school.

Your older two are enrolled in the public charter school for the 2012-13 school year (your dc were not "covered" by the charter school; they are enrolled in the public school. That it is an on-line charter school is irrelevant as far as compulsory school laws are concerned).

For the 2013-14 school year, you're thinking of enrolling the oldest in a private school satellite program (PSP, for non-Californians), while also filing an affidavit, in which your youngest will be enrolled, while you'll still have one in the public charter school.

Do I have it right so far?

So, there would be three schools going on: the private school which you established by filing your own affidavit; the private school established by someone else, and the public school. Yes?

Have you asked the administrator of the PSP what she thinks? Some PSP owners get persnickety about that.

At any rate, there isn't anything illegal about filing your own affidavit and "enrolling" some of your children in that, while also enrolling some of your children in other private or public schools.

Yep, that's right, Ellie! I could potentially have three different schools next year if I don't have my youngest tag along with the psp. I would have 1) online, 1) private affidavit, 1) psp

I don't forsee it being an issue if I opt to not enroll the youngest, but it may be something to consider so we don't step on any toes.

Yep, that's right, Ellie! I could potentially have three different schools next year if I don't have my youngest tag along with the psp. I would have 1) online, 1) private affidavit, 1) psp

I don't forsee it being an issue if I opt to not enroll the youngest, but it may be something to consider so we don't step on any toes.

To clarify, the one who is on-line would be legally considered a public school student, while the others would be private school students. :-)