Menu

For those of you who do weekly binders...

kailuamom

I love the idea of doing weekly binders for my dc - and idea I got from a recent thread. (Thanks!) For those of you who do them, do you take apart all your books/programs (books like Singapore Math and such) or do you just put in a piece of paper listing their assignment for the book? I am trying to decide what to do and whether to start ripping apart all the workbooks. :)

I take it all apart, if needed I take workbooks like our saxon 1 worksheet books to kinkos or staples and have the binding cut of and 3 hole drilled. I then keep them in a master binder for that subject and take the sheets out to put in their weekly binders as needed.

HTH

I take it all apart, if needed I take workbooks like our saxon 1 worksheet books to kinkos or staples and have the binding cut of and 3 hole drilled. I then keep them in a master binder for that subject and take the sheets out to put in their weekly binders as needed.

HTH

That's what I did. I've just started putting mine together. More than likely, it will end up being a Monthly thing.

If there's something I can't/don't want to take apart, then yes, I take a notebook page and write the assignment.

I do both. My oldest dd has a weekly binder with tabs for Monday -- Friday. The first page when she opens her binder is her weekly schedule. I type her assignments for each day on this weekly schedule and she crosses them off after she's completed the work.

The beauty of this is that at the end of each week, I merely take her weekly assignment and store it in MY teacher's notebook to use as a record of what she's accomplished AND an attendance log.

I place her ETC, spelling lists, writing assignments, Horizons math lesson, cursive copywork, etc... behind the day of the week tab for the day it is to be completed.

However, some texts (like Singapore Math) and Shurley English are not so easy to break up like the others. For instance, Singapore starts a new lesson on the back side of a previous one. So, I keep those workbooks in tact and keep them in a pocket folder in the front or back of her notebook.

We've used the weekly binder for about 6 months and LOVE IT! It's very efficient.

P.S. For the workbooks I do pull apart... I just tear off the spine (most of them are glue-bound) and 3 hole punch them myself. It's super easy and FREE. :)

We've used the weekly binder for about 6 months and LOVE IT! It's very efficient.

P.S. For the workbooks I do pull apart... I just tear off the spine (most of them are glue-bound) and 3 hole punch them myself. It's super easy and FREE. :)

Thanks, Linda! Free is good :)

Thanks, Audrey & Kel! I will be making a trip to Kinkos or Staples soon! I was wondering how to do it! Is it expensive? Do they do it? Or is it "self serve"? (Can you tell I don't go often? lol)

You can do this at home and I have heard of some that will take a warm iron to the binding to warm it up first to make it easier. For me it's just easier to take it in. Usually it costs me about $1.50 to remove the binding or less depending on the store. If it's a smallish book (less than an inch think) I'll take it home and 3 hole punch it myself (my punch can handle about 20 pages at a time) if larger I'll have them drill it that way I know it's all lined up nice. Usually that makes it about $3 total.

Oh and they do it, this is not a self serve thing.

HTH

I do both.

However, some texts (like Singapore Math) and Shurley English are not so easy to break up like the others. For instance, Singapore starts a new lesson on the back side of a previous one. So, I keep those workbooks in tact and keep them in a pocket folder in the front or back of her notebook.

:)

Hi, I just wanted to add my 2 cents real quick. We have been doing binders for 2 weeks and I LOVE them. What used to take 2 hrs now gets done in one and all my kids get all the stuff done.

The problem I had been having was like this: Nick would do reading, math but not latin because I was working with X on his phonics but then I stopped to help Nick start latin and X wandered off so I forgot to have X read! What happened to Marie? Oh yeah, she didn't accomplish anything because I couldn't keep track of 3 kids!

It was crazy. :willy_nilly:

Now it isn't. The rule is simple. You are not finished until the binder is done. Period. I am happy and I am seeing great progress with the kids from being more consistent. Did I mention it's soooo much faster? This definitely works.

And I did the same thing with the math pages. The weeks worth of math is kept in the front all together.

:cheers2: I am so happy to have started the binders!

Blessings,

Christy

I do folders for all their "extra" stuff. All the workbooks from Critical Thinking and Mindware, as well as Map Skills. I give them a weekly checklist, and they have to have them all done by the end of the week. I suggest about how many/how often they should do them, but whatever they haven't finished on Sunday they do then. I have a checklist on the cover for when they're done and corrected, then they go into a 3-ring binder.

Singapore Math, Sequential Spelling, and anything that requires daily rather than weekly work is done in the morning. (If I get Easy Grammar, that would end up in that category). The folders are like "homework" that is done independently mostly in the afternoons, and are also portable if they have to be brought somewhere.

I just buy one copy of each workbook and have a big photocopy evening every 8 weeks or so - I do 8 weekly packets onto 3-hole punch paper. I don't even know if that's cheaper, but I like having the "master" books on a shelf, with the answer keys in the back.

We started doing this two years ago, and it's been going very well.