Menu

Hive advice please, We're living in Japan...

We arrived 3 weeks ago. We are on Okinawa, a small island south of mainland. I'm unsure of how to proceed with foreign language study for my son, who is a junior. To complicate matters, I've heard that many Okinawans speak a dialect of Japanese that some mainlanders find hard to understand.

Option 1-

He's had 1 year of German. He could complete German 2 this year and take 1 year of Japanese.

Option 2-

Have him complete 2 years of Japanese. He is not very interested in this option.

I'm thinking of getting Rosetta Stone Japanese so my other children can use it as well.

Thanks for your help!

Hi Laura!!!!!! Hi Medium-Sized Friend of Nature Girl, and Tiny Sprite!!!!

We miss you!!!!!!!

Love,

Chris in VA and Nature Girl

PS Ds has to do either 3 years of 1 lang or 2 and 2. Can you just check with the potential colleges? I'd definitely take some Japanese, if it were me.

We arrived 3 weeks ago. We are on Okinawa, a small island south of mainland. I'm unsure of how to proceed with foreign language study for my son, who is a junior. To complicate matters, I've heard that many Okinawans speak a dialect of Japanese that some mainlanders find hard to understand.

Option 1-

He's had 1 year of German. He could complete German 2 this year and take 1 year of Japanese.

Option 2-

Have him complete 2 years of Japanese. He is not very interested in this option.

I'm thinking of getting Rosetta Stone Japanese so my other children can use it as well.

Thanks for your help!

I think if he prefers to continue his German studies, I would go for the second year of formal study in German, then decide what to do for senior year based on the feedback you get from colleges he's considering.

However, it would be a real shame to be in Japan and not at least learn some survival Japanese! What options might there be for hiring a language tutor? In Tokyo, it is very easy to hire tutors- either formally through a language school or informally through local expat and church networks. The good news about Japanese language and dialects is that the school curriculum is all taught in "standard" Japanese, so while many older people have some difficulty making themselves understood to those who don't understand dialect, younger to middle age Japanese should all be able to communicate well in standard Japanese. Likewise, you should be able to find a tutor who can teach standard Japanese, while throwing in some daily phrases in dialect.

Your son could study Japanese informally without any pressure to achieve a certain level within a certain timeframe. You may be pleasantly surprised at how quickly he picks it up if he tries a little.