Menu

Lesson plan for 3rd edition Saxon algebra I

I'm teaching from it for the second time right now. To do our Saxon lesson, we simply read the lesson part together and do the examples (without looking at the answers) together, then the student does the practice problems and problem set independently. Then I circle wrong answers, and the student does them again. Every fifth lesson is a test, I believe.

What kind of lesson plans were you looking for? If the student feels very challenged by Saxon's explanation, you could sign up for Hot Math online videos ($29/year) and simply watch the one targeted to that topic. Might help...

http://hotmath.com/help/videos/index-college.html

I started writing my own lesson plans. I was happy to see that the third edition indicates which problems are review and which are "relevant" for the lesson being taught. My daily plan is to have my daughter read through the explanation (if she needs to watch the Saxon teacher, which I ordered), then do the practice problems, then do ALL the problems related to the day's lesson, then do odds or evens on the review problems. Does this sound reasonable?

thanks

I really do NOT recommend the 'odd' or 'even' approach with Saxon--especially in the higher maths.

Saxon teaches WITHIN the lesson. While problem number 12 LOOKS like problem 13 a very subtle change in the placement of a negative sign makes them COMPLETELY different.

Another issue is that the 'review' problems will increase in difficulty as the student learns more parts of the concept. It gets to a point where if the student has difficulty with a 'review' problem it is IMPOSSIBLE to go back to the 'original lesson' for help--the review problems have 'evolved' past the scope of the original lesson!

This program just does not work unless ALL of the problems are completed. Each problem was put in place for a reason--and it may be tied into the next lesson...OCCASIONALLY I will let a student skip one or two of the LAST problems in the set--IF they have been making 90% or higher on previous assignments.

I've made a lot of money tutoring Saxon students--most who needed tutoring had been allowed to skip problems...

If working 30 problems a day is too much for your student I suggest letting them work 20 problems a day...If they complete a lesson before they have reached the 20 problem mark they just start the next lesson.

For slower students work the problem set out over 2 days--Just work ALL of the problems.

For Algebra 1 and above 30 problems a day is VERY normal--and 1-1.5 hours of math is typical each day. Many times when a lesson takes 'too long' it is not because it has too many problems --but rather it is usually because the student needs MORE practice.

does anyone have one to share?

Thanks

Ours is 1 Lesson per day, including corrections.

If the first-try score is poor a few days in a row, then next week re-do last week's lessons.

We don't use the tests. Just the book.

Every problem, every correction.

So that's 120 math days . .. plus any repeat weeks.

:)

• 2 years later...
Guest ndodge

Does anyone have the Saxon algebra 1 third edition (orange and blue cover) at home? My child left his at school when we pulled him from school on Thursday because his Grandfather passed away. He has lesson 4 problem set 4 due on Monday and will get an F is not complete. Could anyone share that lesson?