Menu

Looking for a math supplement for RightStart

kandty

I need some type of supplement or another program to go along with level D. It's a long story as to why, but to make it short: RightStart is the best program we have used, kids are doing great, mom hates teaching it, looking for something to replace a lesson or two during the week to keep my sanity, but continue using this program that is going well for my kids. :svengo: Perhaps Life of Fred, but no idea which book. Any other ideas?

To actually replace a lesson or two, as in, you want to choose a particular lesson in a different curriculum to use instead of the comparable lesson in RS, I'd look at the MM Blue topic books. It should be relatively easy to find a lesson on a particular topic and the teaching is all right there.

If instead you want to supplement with something entirely different, on other topics, I don't know what the answer would be, as I'm not familiar with RS... maybe Beast Academy?

I am not at Level D yet, but I am using RS B and have a 10 yo who used SM and Miquon. I think if you school year-round, LOF would be wonderful to do one or two days a week to give you a break from teaching. My 10 yo dislikes school in general but LOVES LOF. She does it in the car the 2 days a week we are out and about. I started her at Honey in December because I didn't have the money or the time to take her from Apples through Goldfish like the author recommends. Her ability to complete the work has not been adversely effected. You could start at Farming or Goldfish depending on how many books you think you could finish before the start of next school year. Then next year you would have the last three books to complete while doing RS E. Btw, I have ordered from horriblebooks.com and have been very please with Ray's service.

Another thing might be to add SM CWP or Fan Math once a week. I was thinking the later levels of Miquon would be good, but that usually involves some teaching.

I am in D with dd and the discussion and sit down time can be labor-intensive in this level so I get where you're coming from. I supplement with Math Mammoth as it can be done largely independently and the stress on mental math and the strategies used in MM are very similar, if not the same, as RS. Using MM has helped free up some time for me to work with little dd and MM has more of a traditional scope which benefits me as we have to test every year.